The mystery of the missing gear

Cypha

After refitting a perfectly working gearbox, i have 5 forward gears but no reverse!?! I looked behind the seat and in my toolbox but still i cant find it!

Can anyone think of how reconnecting the linkages would cause me to lose the reverse gear function.

P.s If you do find my reverse gear hanging out on a street corner turning tricks for clutch money, please send it home 😂

I think I get what you mean, in terms of the cable carrier and the linkages. If you could explain further that would be great.

Edited by Cypha

There's a vertical slot with a nut in it. You need to loosen the nut and slide it about 2mm down in the slot to make it easier to engage reverse. Move it up to make it easier to engage fifth. :)  Retighten when happy.

drawing shows the nut as number 65.

IMG_0654.PNG

Edited by mk2

Ok, guys so I got it sorted and I thought I would share my findings with you.

It would appear that all the 3 bolts/adjustments needed a slight tickling until it finally found reverse gear.

It is worth noting that bolt 3 needed the most adjustment as this appear to control the lateral throw of the gearstick movement and had the most effect on the reverse gear seating when it was engaged.

Thanks, everyone for all your help. Mk2 your diagram was a life saver.

More importantly, you all helped me solve the mystery of the missing gear. P.S. All along it was the old grumpy school caretaker in the monster suit! (if you can remember that reference you must be as old as me... 😂 )

Gearbox-ringed.jpg

Edited by Cypha

In your pic, no1 is not adjustable. It screws directly into the threaded hole in the selector shaft (or should...!).

what amazes me about the linkage design, is that the little plastic rod that snaps over the two ball joints (beige thing at the top of 2) can take all that force when you go for a really fast/hard shift. Never heard of one breaking... @Rich u ever seen a broken one?