EGR Delete for better MPG - Lupo sdi

Almonds

s-l300.jpg

Should be self explanatory given the shape there, but some stick it on the end of the egr pipe or in both places if they are same size / shape. (they do actually look different in that pic but might just be the angle).

The blanking plate is sandwiched between the egr and the inlet manifold, and / or the pipe and the exhaust.

8baa317a4568b0625a6248405caa

Doesnt matter too much as long as it stops exhaust gas getting back into engine.

Edited by Sausage

Nah... don't do it. Wont get you any more power. The only way is to gas flow the ram tubes. I've posted pics somewhere on here how to do it. Otherwise, just disconnect the vacuum pipe to the egr control solenoid (and block it).

• 2 years later...
On 7/20/2018 at 11:29 PM, mk2 said:

Nah... don't do it. Wont get you any more power. The only way is to gas flow the ram tubes. I've posted pics somewhere on here how to do it. Otherwise, just disconnect the vacuum pipe to the egr control solenoid (and block it).

Hi I've just bought a lupo 1.7 sdi do you know what the best thing to do to make it faster and perform better?

Here's the link:

https://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?/topic/106416-sdi-egr-delete-and-gas-flowing-for-more-power/

But i also experimented with different injectors and the quantity adjuster inside the injection pump. The conclusion was that without egr, an active choke flap and plugged gas feeds, the only way to get a lot more power was by changing injectors- throwing in way more fuel than normal. Lots of black smoke, but wow, the increase in torque...!

However, would not pass MOT with them in. Someone else on here mentioned "rolling coal" after I did the experiments :)

If you're severely down on power, worth checking injector timing and fuel filter. A stock SDI is reasonably quick, never slow. Or clogged injectors... VCDS will give you all the numbers and injector balance.

• 1 year later...
On 7/20/2018 at 11:29 PM, mk2 said:

How do you gas flow the ram air tubes? Cheers fella

Don't do it! You'll invalidate your insurance and increase and increase your NOx emissions by about 40x! For that reason, you'll soon have to reverse your illegal modification:

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/future-of-transport-regulatory-review-modernising-vehicle-standards/future-of-transport-regulatory-review-modernising-vehicle-standards

RAB

That was an interesting read, on the part where they discuss tampering (modifications to road cars). And I do actually agree in principle. Thanks for posting the link @RAB 👍🏻 The brief applies specifically to low emission and electric vehicles, rather than older cars. Still interesting though. "Retrospective legislation" and all that...

The problem with enforcement is the policing of the standards. It took some time for experts in the US to find the vdub software defeat. And some very expensive, sensitive and fragile kit. So I don't think MOT test stations will be given the equivalent any time soon. The smoke test kit works ok, but needs regular checking and calibration. For Nox, it's a whole different game. I can't see the gov making the average MOT place fork out even more for new kit. Unless they change the way tests are done- only at gov run places like in N. Ireland. Reminds me of so many new ill considered laws, like smoking in cars for one- how on earth were they ever supposed to enforce that? Mobile phone 'touching' for sat nav (allowed) or for texting/phone calls (not allowed). There's a very long list of stupidity.

And I think the reason people do install defeat devices or workarounds is because on older cars, the systems become unreliable and actually make the emissions worse. EGR, DPF and evap systems are notoriously bad. Newer cars seem to have cracked it. Reliable emission controls AND without loss of performance (or power & economy).

Ultimately, engine designers can always get more power from an engine, but they're limited by emission standards. It's why in the US, they dropped compression ratios and upped capacity. Here we went the other way and now we're paying for it... 

Edited by mk2

Since NOx emissions increase by about 40x when the EGR is bypassed/deleted, you don't need a sensitive, expensive and unreliable analyser such as chemiluminesence; you can use much cheaper IR analysers. There's just one simple valve for EGR; all you have to do is keep the inlet manifold clean which can be done when the VNT mechanism is cleaned. Newer cars are more reliable because they are newer! They are more complicated.

Electric is the answer. My last 3L will be sold this year!

RAB

I bought a (expensive) digital flue gas analyser which uses the IR method to evaluate the gases. Probably not the perfect tool, but gives an indication...

I only measure 1.11 (g/km) when the engine is really hot and I'm in cruise (worst case synario). So yeah, 14X worse than the petrol limits. But the diesel limit is still 3X the petrol limit as standard. Bring on (nitric) acid rain deforestation...

The limit is 0.25 for our diesels (compared to 0.08 for petrol cars). Oddly enough, I've noticed it goes right down to about 0.01 when i cane it (some black smoke), and when the engine is cold, or running below optimum temp- still around 0.02, which is wierd because the oxidising cat isn't up to temp yet. And this is with EGR deleted. Makes me wonder is vdub were messing with the official numbers even back then...? I checked an unmolested tdi polo, and the numbers were almost the same. Curious. Have we just exposed another Dieselgate @RAB?

Not sure about EVs just yet, as the gas and coal that predominantly is used for uk power generation is much less efficient at converting hydrocarbons to motive force than our little diesel engines are. We need much more nuclear asap.... most people charge their EV at night (lowest average time in the day for green energy generation). I do like driving EVs though. So punchy :)

Edited by mk2
Maths... SMH. 🤷🏻‍♀️ 1ppm=80g/km apparently for a Lupo.