Electric Window motor

creon

I've searched the forum but see no definite answer, both windows on my arosa have been acting up. Not functioning and I can hear the motor click. The motor still clicks with the regulator disconnected.

So I've removed the whole assembly motor and regulator, the regulator seems to be in good condition but I've opened the motor and found that the carbon brushes were 'seized' and wouldn't let The spring push them to make contact, also the plastic seemed a little molten. The motor whilst in operation does run hot with not much use there has also been a grinding like noise.

What are the symptoms of a broken motor?

I've now reassembled and although it hasn't cut out yet I now have to press the button several times to get the window up and down, I still need to check fuses.

Any help would be appreciated as I don't think second hand motor is the way forward.

Edited by creon

Mine had a similar issue on my GTi last weekend, I gave up and bought a new one from Euro Car Parts with their online discount, wasn't the cheapest option but the design of that one was miles better than the original VW part as it didn't use plastic, all the runners and ends etc are metal so won't break in the future and get seized up. Literally operates like a rocket ship compared to the old one, and compared to the drivers one which hopefully still has at least some life left in it.

Cleaning the bushes etc will only last so long really, and can leave you somewhere with the glass stuck down. For this reason I just bought a new one.

I've cleaned the carbon brushes and helped them move more freely to make contact on the motor, seems to be working fine for now. Lithium greased the runners and rollers on the regulator as they didn't seem to be at fault.

I'll try the same on the other motor now. Without soldering the brushes are not replaceable, seems a shame to bin something with such a minor issue esp regarding the cost of a new motor.