Steel doors on GTI?

Dubturbo

Hi all,

First time post, as I've just picked up an import GTI and and learning lots here!! :)

I took a magnet to the panels to see, and sure enough the bonnet and wings are definitely alu, but both doors seem to be steel. I don't see any evidence of repaired damage, it's a clean car otherwise. It's an 05, would there be any possibility they were running short on alu panels in Brussels during the runout period and may have substituted steel, or am I just kidding myself and have parts from about a dozen Lupos in my car :lol:

Great forum, delighted to be here and thanks in advance!

Mine is a UK 2005 GTI and has the B for Belgium in the chassis number  -like yours it has steel doors, but everything else is Alloy as meant to be.

The seller was adamant that they were aluminium, even claimed the paint shop confirmed this.....unless the paint shop swapped the doors!

Other things I have noticed about my doors:

Outside It is missing that weird mystery block of plastic 2 thirds of the way up the window next to the A pillar

Inside the cover over the electric mirror is not body colour matched, not tornado red just black plastic.

Lastly the window clips design is complete excrement, but that seems to be an issue we all share!

Well I have Pilkington in both doors & screen, but Sekurit in rear sides

- going back to the OP's question, being one of the last to be made, could it have come like this off the production line with steel doors and fat glass?

2 hours ago, LR5V said:

Well I have Pilkington in both doors & screen, but Sekurit in rear sides

- going back to the OP's question, being one of the last to be made, could it have come like this off the production line with steel doors and fat glass?

Pretty sure the screen should be sekurit aswell!

The plot thickens, I have Pilkington in my doors and screen, yet Sekurit in the rears too! Could be a coincidence, and both cars could have a history, but they're both end of the line cars too, when the specific stuff would start getting scarce?

• Like 1

Mine is a late 2005 MY (registered January 2006). It has Sekurit in O/S/F, N/S/R and N/S/F and Pilkington in O/S/R, tailgate and windscreen.  Not the expected Teutonic consistency and reminds me of typical Latin 'anomalies' in my Alfas. 

4 hours ago, sj2112 said:

I will check mine when i get back bud

Cheers

3 hours ago, davy26 said:

Mine is a late 2005 MY (registered January 2006). It has Sekurit in O/S/F, N/S/R and N/S/F and Pilkington in O/S/R, tailgate and windscreen.  Not the expected Teutonic consistency and reminds me of typical Latin 'anomalies' in my Alfas. 

Yeah those Belgiums, renowned for not keeping their mind on their job, constanly thinking of chocolate!

Are your doors are Alloy or steel?

57 minutes ago, LR5V said:

Cheers

Yeah those Belgiums, renowned for not keeping their mind on their job, constanly thinking of chocolate!

Are your doors are Alloy or steel?

Well you can't blame them can you - their choc is rather fine, but may I suggest that they're more likely to be distracted by their delicious Stella, and from my experience of the stuff, we're lucky if we get any glass put in at all.  I have got alloy doors.  It was one of the first things I wanted to check pre-buying my car, as I especially like the idea of lightweight panels. At BMW we had them on the CSLs.  At that time I was responsible for dealing with product complaints in the UK and a common one was owners moaning about their wavy bootlid edges - even the slightest hand pressure unless through the badge caused denting.  

• Like 1