Window regulator advice

brownah

Hi everyone,

My lupo GTi passenger side window gets caught halfway down and doesn't go any further.

I need to grab and pull it as the glass sits bent for some reason and lift it level (with some force) the rest of the way while pressing the button.

So I'm looking for a window regulator. Wanted to ask, does it sound like I need a motor?

And does anyone have any recommendations in terms of what regulator I should get? Is the valeo brand any good?

Thanks in advance.

probably just the clips are broken which are a few quid on ebay if window goes wonky, motor probably fine if it goes up and down.

Best bet is to remove trim and have a look see what is going on, might be something really simple or might need new regulator. Could be hooking up on the wiring loom if the clips have popped out and it gets in the way.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I've opened it up before and replaced the clips. It worked fine for a bit. But then it keeps getting stuck halfway and it's really wedged tight.

I've got to pull really hard to get it up all the way.

I think it might be getting caught on the seal on the way up. Anybody else had any issues with this?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

loosen the bolts, let it find it's own way up and then nip the bolts up.

that's 100% experience talking there. i like it. none of that sort of thing ever written in manuals :)

10 hours ago, Rich said:

loosen the bolts, let it find it's own way up and then nip the bolts up.

Thanks a bunch Rich. Will give that a go.

Just a quick question, loosen the bolts of the runners that the clips go up and down?

Thanks.

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update. Loosened the bolts that hold the glass then ran the window up and down a few times. It's definitely improved in that it doesn't get fully jammed and I don't need to yank the window up anymore.

I does however get stuck about half way and goes back down. I can get it to go halfway, then if I stop and jab the button so the window goes up bit by bit it eventually gets past this sticky point and up all the way.

I've had a good look and it doesn't seem to be catching on any cables inside.

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

try some silicone spray lubricant in the felt window channel? my only guess is that there is a kink in the channel, where it's crushing the glass. the glass should slide up and down with little more than finger push effort. there is a load sensor built into the power supply circuit to the motor. when the motor current goes too high before the top end stop (in situations such as where an arm is in the way), the circuit reverses power briefly then stops...