Sorting the new Loop

Right working on the new loop, getting pretty deep and writing up a list of jobs.

So the standard roof rust and round the arches getting sorted for £250 all in, so happy there.

Then there's the engine...

We've got a cracked thermostat housing, so going to the dealer to get a vw one. Then the rocker cover gasket simple enough. But where I'm abit stuck is a new starter motor as the bearings are going on the one I've got. Can anyone recommend a good one new or go for a reconditioned one??

An before people say it's not the best of condition this loop, but I like putting in the work an for £1400 I'm happy

20180614_184750.jpg

20180614_184746.jpg

received_10156685046062018.jpeg

received_10156685046037018.jpeg

11 hours ago, Prole said:

We've got a cracked thermostat housing, so going to the dealer to get a vw one. Then the rocker cover gasket simple enough. But where I'm abit stuck is a new starter motor as the bearings are going on the one I've got. Can anyone recommend a good one new or go for a reconditioned one??

A thermostat housing from Euro with their never ending sale is around £40. Significantly cheaper than the VW one yet exactly the same. Been using this for a while. :)

This is what I'm wondering I'm not 100% sure the housing is cracked (brother in law thinks so), possibly a seal has gone due there is coolant blotches on the block but no other signs. I'm not willing to order a whole housing for £113 just in case. I know that the polo housings get pretty fragile with age an worth replacing the whole unit, an I assume the same with loops.

With the starter motors I'm stumped what to go with a Bosch or a cheap shitter for half the price, money isn't a problem. But £100 is good money I can spend elsewhere

On 6/15/2018 at 8:02 AM, Sausage said:

Respect to anyone keeping these going and not just breaking them, I really cant get my head around those who break perfectly tidy examples. 

Well just been offered another with mot for £500, haven't seen the condition yet an if it's not worth sorting I may break that. Would be a pity but a spare engine an gearbox is always nice

On 6/15/2018 at 7:16 AM, Blue Loop said:

Good job on keeping it alive :)

Is there a huge difference in price between a cheap new starter motor and a reconditioned one?

Well just from euro car parts these are the pricing, i haven't checked the pricing on reconditioned ones yet, But from what I've been told there is not a huge difference.

RTX £103.99
Bosch £171.99+£107.99 surcharge
Remy £122.99

I can get cheaper though trade, but my friend is not back at the yard until Monday.

Edited by Prole
Grammar

4 hours ago, Prole said:

Well just been offered another with mot for £500, haven't seen the condition yet an if it's not worth sorting I may break that. Would be a pity but a spare engine an gearbox is always nice

Damn, where are you finding these? 

Just now, Sausage said:

Damn, where are you finding these? 

Just down where I live haha, been keeping my eyes peeled. Then mine come up on Facebook for a quick sale price. An was down the pub lastnight an a friend said his mate had one he wanted to shift on the cheap.

Just sheer coincidence, I'm sure coming across two cheap gti's in 4 days is pretty rare

4 hours ago, Prole said:

Well just from euro car parts these are the pricing, i haven't checked the pricing on reconditioned ones yet, But from what I've been told there is not a huge difference.

RTX £103.99
Bosch £171.99+£107.99 surcharge
Remy £122.99

I can get cheaper though trade, but my friend is not back at the yard until Monday.

I'm not sure I'd pay nearly 3x the price for a Bosch one. I'd go for a new one from a cheaper brand :)

don't waste your time on an Rtx.

rebuild yours yourself or find a component remanufacturing place near you and get yours done.

alternatively just find a good second hand one and fit that, not impossible and usually £20.

thermostat housing, lupo gti specific, I have a good spare but you would have to make me a decent offer as I like having a spare kicking about but then I have never had a problem with mine.

On 6/16/2018 at 11:34 PM, Rich said:

don't waste your time on an Rtx.

rebuild yours yourself or find a component remanufacturing place near you and get yours done.

alternatively just find a good second hand one and fit that, not impossible and usually £20.

Taking your advice there rich never touched a starter motor before in regards to a rebuild, an have to say looks pretty simple to work on. Just got myself a new gas soldering iron recently so at least I got a reason to put it to good use. Bought a oe starter motor to work on from Facebook for 25 and a friend says jcr supplies for parts. Do you know the measurements for brushes or code that the loop gti uses??

just clean the carbon off, there's a guide on the mk4 golf forum.

use the unknown one, rebuild the broken one.

if you do scrap it's gimme a shout.

It's not impossible to rebuild a starter with components, as said. Bearings, brushes etc tend to be "a size" that is also fitted to a hundred other things, rather than bespoke.

For reference, I sourced a new voltage regulator for our Mk2 Polo, for about a tenner, compared to the £x00 for a full alternator.

Try giving ElectroDiesel a call, they were the only people that could find said regulator - properly old fashioned place but they may post things to you if you ask.

https://www.edne.co.uk/

(Failing that, if they can get the bits, I'll happily collect them and post them to you, they're relatively local to me)