1.4TDI left Driveshaft

James Hale

Is your chassis hitting the shaft or something?

The red TDI I have had been running excessive neg camber and lowered, shafts had been hitting chassis, knackered shafts, wheel bearings, clutch and gearbox.

It is probably just the cv part that has broken which can be replaced cheap enough, but until you get it off the car and get eyes on it you wont know.

For anyone who wants too know the current status, contacted Volkswagen today. They're shipping out the Left Driveshaft(JZW-407-451/ax) from Germany! £190 inc VAT which isn't too bad, costs £290 for an old one too be refurbished. Just thought I'd let everyone know just in case someone needs one in the future as that's the only option.

something don't sound right here... unless the actual shaft has gone (very very unlikely), it's got to be one of the spiders. so i second sausage's thoughts. angle grinder and a £20 new cv joint kit....

just to be clear- the shaft itself is nothing more than a solid round metal bar with splines on each end. the drive shaft >assembly< consists of 3 components : inner cv - shaft - outer cv joint. all pretty standard interchangeable stuff scross the lupo/arosa/polo range. 

i think the garage is trying to pull a fast one.

Edited by mk2

They done 2 hours work on my car today and didn't charge me a single penny as the shaft I did buy was the wrong type(I was hoping for the best with that haha) so they put the old one back on for now and told me too try and find the one I need for cheap, I was the one who chose too go through Volkswagen as it was the easiest option available.

I don't have a picture, they've had too get it from Germany as the part I need isnt in any of the UK Volkswagen dealers apparently! I'm with a local garage and I chose too go through VW on my own accord but they could be screwing me for all I know aha! Aslong as it comes and works on my car I don't mind, still £100 cheaper than getting my old one reconditioned which I was planning too do until I was told it's too far gone too be reconditioned.