Exhaust help

reececrabb

I was looking at different Back boxes for my 1.0l mk1 arosa as I can’t afford to straight pipe it yet but was looking at a universal hornet Back box and was wondering if anyone has used one on there arosa or if it would fit or even if anyone knows of any other cheap Back boxes I have tried contacting hornet but havnt had any reply and that was over a month ago 

Edited by reececrabb

11 hours ago, Rich said:

back box delete is where it is at.

the other silencers will keep it quiet enough.

What’s the best way to go about doing so 

Remove back box at joint, tie up dangly pipe so it doesnt knock and drive around. You might like it you might not and zero money has been expended either way.

If your back box is very crusty and not worth saving then cut off the box at the box instead so you have the hanger and some extra pipe left, then weld / join something suitable (exhaust place scrap bin for supplies) on there.

• 1 year later...
On 6/3/2018 at 8:39 PM, reececrabb said:

I was looking at different Back boxes for my 1.0l mk1 arosa as I can’t afford to straight pipe it yet but was looking at a universal hornet Back box and was wondering if anyone has used one on there arosa or if it would fit or even if anyone knows of any other cheap Back boxes I have tried contacting hornet but havnt had any reply and that was over a month ago 

I use a cherrybomb exhaust and it sounds decent for what it is.

On 6/4/2018 at 10:14 AM, Sausage said:

Remove back box at joint, tie up dangly pipe so it doesnt knock and drive around. You might like it you might not and zero money has been expended either way.

If your back box is very crusty and not worth saving then cut off the box at the box instead so you have the hanger and some extra pipe left, then weld / join something suitable (exhaust place scrap bin for supplies) on there.

Really??

My boys back box just snapped from pipe joint into rear silencer... 🙄

I thought a Massey Ferguson tractor was coming up the street when he got home 😆

Doubt Plod would agree with any of the above suggestions..🤔

C'mon lads keep it sensible 😆

Louder doesn't mean more power... Engine designers know that there is some back pressure, and end up using it by changing cam timing to eek out a small increase in torque. American engine designers in particular love back pressure, as it shifts the torque down the revs.... to make the automatic gearbox work better when around the stall point of the torque convertor. :) Actually quite a clever way of using something that would otherwise be considered an inefficiency. It's why high revving free flowing engines (like F1 cars) have an anti stall feature. Hardly any torque available around idle rpms.

4272.gif

Oldstout, my suggestion was for someone who asked what different back boxes might sound like. So the cheapest option (which is always my favourite option) was to see what no back box sounded like first. That can then be moderated with a small silencer and / or large bore tail pipe.

8 minutes ago, Sausage said:

4272.gif

Oldstout, my suggestion was for someone who asked what different back boxes might sound like. So the cheapest option (which is always my favourite option) was to see what no back box sounded like first. That can then be moderated with a small silencer and / or large bore tail pipe.

Hi sausage, yes I got that. But having heard how loud a 1.0 Arosa sounds like with no back box I thought I better chip in - would it pass an MOT/ emission/overzealous bored copper etc?  😉

No idea, I have not tried it on a lupo, had a back box fall off a mondeo it sounded great, the default mod when a yoof was to remove silencer and substitute something in its place. Probably a middle box delete instead then as my TDI only has rear box and sounds very nice.