How to remove a Wiper stalk

Leww_52

remove steering surround.

Three t20, thin screwdriver advised, one t30.

pop airbag plug off.

use flatblade at the bottom to pop the airbag spring through the hole, half way on a shelf, don't stab at rubber.

hold open half with whatever is handy.

spin wheel 180, do other side.

gently pry the yellow plug out the airbag, even pressure both sides.

undo 24 holding wheel on, leave nut there a few threads when you loosen the wheel, take it all off, don't let airbag ribbon untangle.

three screws and a few plugs for the stalks.

reverse to put it back together, remember wheel alignment when you stick it together.

twenty minute job.

4 hours ago, Leww_52 said:

Thanks, both! 

battery need to be disconnected etc? 

Yes. Alternatively find the orange/white cable running up the column and apply volts. Airbag self removes, everyone is a winner!! 

• 2 weeks later...

I completed the wipe stalk today. However.... when i re fitted the steering wheel... the steering wheel is tight and the horn constantly applys lol... What did I do wrong...? Any chance it has something to do with the ribbon behind not being in the right place?

Okay, so how about the airbag ribbon? It stayed coiled but steering is tight?? When the back "cap" come off with the small black wire... did I get that in right or would that effect it??

Also the small black wire was bent when the clip from the air bag came off... it's cane out to far and bent it?? Would that effect anything also?

Okay thank you! So just remove the air bag and try to re install it but do not push it in to far?

And what do I need to do with the fuse??

You are legit my god.

if the steering wheel is tight, then something is stuck or in the wrong place behind it. you'll need to take it off again. There are some pics in the how to...

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?/topic/63534-mending-cleaning-lupo-indicator-stalk-lever/

if the horn stays on, it could be what rich says or might be a trapped wire caught/trapped on the steering column. it could be the clock spring unit or base behind not seated correctly in its slot.

Edited by mk2