Brake light comes on with clutch?? *HELP*

ruairi

Hi all, I'm new here.

Recently changed the pedal box on my loop, all has been well since. Car flew though it's MOT today, on the way home I noticed that the brake light was coming on with depressing the clutch pedal. I'm assuming it's an issue with the brake pedal switch??

Prior to MOT I had noticed the EPC light was on (was on  before the pedal box was changed though so wasn't concerned) so I took apart the cluster and hide it with some well placed electrical tape.

The brake lights are still working fine.

Anyone have a fix to this/experienced it before?? Any advice welcome

does the clutch pedal have any kind of separate switch? when you press the clutch pedal down does it cause the brake pedal to move slightly due to play or twisting of the shaft (I assume brake and clutch pedal share a shaft but not sure as never examined a lupo pedal box).  is the brake light switch adjustable? does it need adjusting so it needs the brake pedal to move further before it activates ?

Re EPC light. In the new MOT manual which comes into force in a few days time i think it says the tester has to check light comes on with ignition and then goes off, so as to verify it has not been disconnected or hidden like yours.  When I read the proposed draft of the new manual it said that but I have not checked it again to see if final version was altered. I think this is going to be a problem for a lot of cars as I think it has been common place for years for people to hide the illumination of the light.

Good new for sellers of OBD port fault code readers

6 minutes ago, isetta said:

does the clutch pedal have any kind of separate switch? when you press the clutch pedal down does it cause the brake pedal to move slightly due to play or twisting of the shaft (I assume brake and clutch pedal share a shaft but not sure as never examined a lupo pedal box).  is the brake light switch adjustable? does it need adjusting so it needs the brake pedal to move further before it activates ?

Re EPC light. In the new MOT manual which comes into force in a few days time i think it says the tester has to check light comes on with ignition and then goes off, so as to verify it has not been disconnected or hidden like yours.  When I read the proposed draft of the new manual it said that but I have not checked it again to see if final version was altered. I think this is going to be a problem for a lot of cars as I think it has been common place for years for people to hide the illumination of the light.

Good new for sellers of OBD port fault code readers

Will have to have a proper look when I'm back with the car, a friend suggested the idea of some flex in the pedal box also. I doubt it could be flex as I'm trying to be gentle with the clutch pedal after the pain of changing the pedal box.

With the hidden light, hopefully by next this time year I'll have the light sorted and the tape out, glad it got through before the new manual though.