GTI engine guards and sound dampening

luiscamino

I've tried to search every then and now about a few parts that I need replacing, and still can't figure out if they're GTI specific or if I can buy anything "for Lupo" off eBay.

1. The undercarriage protection, what I believe you'd call "sump guard" (basically the plastic tray that protects the bottom of the engine compartment). This  VW dealer wants 160€ for a new one ? 

2. The sound dampening matt under the bonnet. For the life of me I've looked at dozens of pictures and can't see the difference between normal Lupos and GTIs. The dealer asks 85€ for this.

3. The sound dampening material behind the engine glued to the firewall. God knows what previous owners did but it is all torn and falling down. Don't even know if there's an actual replacement part for this or if VW just cuts material to shape. Probably charges 100s of € to replace it.

So what you say? Would the normal Lupo parts fit a GTI?

normal lupos don't have the firewall guide, maybe the diesels do as well?

umdercarriage one, same but you need the sides too?

under the bonnet is the same on all if they have it.

The bonnet damper fitted to a GTI and a 1.4 TDI is the same part but has been obsolete from VW since 2015, it was £92.98 inc vat. I did try one I found on a 1.4 16V Lupo but it was different to the GTI one.

The engine undertray is GTI specific and £171.67 inc vat from VW, jokers!

Edited by lupogtiboy

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 11:11 AM, lupogtiboy said:

The bonnet damper fitted to a GTI and a 1.4 TDI is the same part but has been obsolete from VW since 2015, it was £92.98 inc vat. I did try one I found on a 1.4 16V Lupo but it was different to the GTI one.

The engine undertray is GTI specific and £171.67 inc vat from VW, jokers!

at VW dealerships in Germany they claim they still have it in stock. however all the matts I see on eBay have the same shape and clip pattern (pics below), and my bonnet seems to also have that shape and clip pattern (last pic). maybe I have a "fake" bonnet? 

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 3:38 PM, Rich said:

umdercarriage one, same but you need the sides too?

hmm, I have to check in my car, but many of the undercarriage parts I found online are made of one pieces, including the "vertical" sides. might be a difference between GTIs and others?

s-l1600.jpg

s-l400.jpg

20180504_054432892_iOS.jpg

3 hours ago, luiscamino said:

at VW dealerships in Germany they claim they still have it in stock. however all the matts I see on eBay have the same shape and clip pattern (pics below), and my bonnet seems to also have that shape and clip pattern (last pic). maybe I have a "fake" bonnet? 

hmm, I have to check in my car, but many of the undercarriage parts I found online are made of one pieces, including the "vertical" sides. might be a difference between GTIs and others?

s-l1600.jpg

s-l400.jpg

20180504_054432892_iOS.jpg

The sound deading is a standard part I believe. The main thing you will need is clips. It is not fitted on 1.0ltr models though. Not sure on 3l

This is what ETKA shows for the GTI undertray, and this is pretty much what mine looks like:

gti undertray.jpg

And this is the info for the bonnet damper, shows the GTI and TDI version is different to any other model:

gti bonnet damper.jpg

that bonnet illustration looks nothing like a Lupo bonnet :confused:

anyway, I'm happy to report I bought that eBay damping and it's fitted perfectly. I'm just missing one clip now :doh:

edit: now to really sort out my bonnet… see that missing rubber sealing at the top left of the photo, left of the VW emblem cutout? that would be nice to fix, but I can't find the part anywhere. VW dealer says it's not available anymore. any ideas? I even considered buying a damaged lupo bonnet just for that piece of rubber but seems like overkill...

20180510_153946697_iOS.jpg

Edited by luiscamino

AFAIK that rubber trim is not unique to the GTi models (if I'm wrong, I hope someone corrects me) so you should be able to find it quite easily in a breaking yard over there in Germany :)