OBD Protocol, 2000 Lupo 1.4 16v

Afternoon All

Firstly, New here so if anything here is wrong etc i apologise.

I purchased an OBDLink SX USB to clear the MIL on my girlfriends Fiat. Having done that i thought i'd try it on my Lupo but it won't connect.

Now since my Lupo is before the days of mandatory OBDII compliance (2000) I think it might be using a different protocol to the lead.

Can anyone either confirm my fears or suggest how i may be able to use this lead to read the codes of my Lupo.

Ta muchly  

on some software you need to set the default interface to slowest and specify 'use the K-line'. there's a chinese app that you have to do it every time you use it. but it has loads of functions not in VCDS lite.

Really can't be arsed going over this again in any more detail, as I've done it to death and search function should find my previous posts.

OBD2 is a generic umbrella term, K-line is the interface and the protocol I'm pretty certain on all Lupo's is Keyword Protocol 2000.

What I'm saying is, your Lupo has an OBD2 port that works with both crappy Bluetooth adapters and VCDS cable you can get for a fiver off eBay. The only difference is VCDS is programmed to access VW specific PID's and the Bluetooth dongle will only access the Universal PID's.

Get both. They're worth it, for different reasons.

If you want to know more, I suggest reading the ISO 9141 paper but considering it's 20 odd year old technology I really wouldn't bother.

1 hour ago, Skezza said:

Really can't be arsed going over this again in any more detail, as I've done it to death and search function should find my previous posts.

OBD2 is a generic umbrella term, K-line is the interface and the protocol I'm pretty certain on all Lupo's is Keyword Protocol 2000.

What I'm saying is, your Lupo has an OBD2 port that works with both crappy Bluetooth adapters and VCDS cable you can get for a fiver off eBay. The only difference is VCDS is programmed to access VW specific PID's and the Bluetooth dongle will only access the Universal PID's.

Get both. They're worth it, for different reasons.

If you want to know more, I suggest reading the ISO 9141 paper but considering it's 20 odd year old technology I really wouldn't bother.

I already know this (having found all the previous posts) however the generic OBD2 to USB cable (presumably the same as the Bluetooth ones?) using KWP2000 still will not connect to the ECU.

I have no immediate need for this (touch wood), i bought the cable for my girlfriends car, just would be nice if it works with my car as well, if this isn't possible then should the need arise ill get a vcds cable as reccomended