LR5V

GTI Upgrades

Thanks @Sausage the only thing I have adjustable on the welder is wire speed, I’m thinking the 0.8 voltage may be too much for the 1.2mm thick sheet metal

I love urchfab great films -looking forward to seeing the mongrel built up. I like the practical way he goes about stuff.

@Rich where’s your build thread?

I can't be arsed to do a thread, I haven't done anything, standard except for changing the interior and retrofit heated seats.

I have a thread for the TT if you want to read that?

@LR5V I feel your pain. Oh dear. Who were the total numpties who just covered everything up?!!!

if it were me, I do the same as @Rich suggested. Cut everything back to decent metal, then fabricate new sills identical to original. Time consuming? Yeah, you bet. But will be worth it when done. Tack it all with fine 0.6mm every inch or two then hammer and pull and twist till it's perfectly straight. Turn your gas right up. The phosphate dip process will make everything pop and burn while welding. I think the slots in the original seam are just fro drainage. Once done, ground, filled, primed, shutzed and finished, pump it full of wax :)

hey, your rear beam looks amazing if that's any consolation...

59 minutes ago, mk2 said:

@LR5V I feel your pain. Oh dear. Who were the total numpties who just covered everything up?!!!

if it were me, I do the same as @Rich suggested. Cut everything back to decent metal, then fabricate new sills identical to original. Time consuming? Yeah, you bet. But will be worth it when done. Tack it all with fine 0.6mm every inch or two then hammer and pull and twist till it's perfectly straight. Turn your gas right up. The phosphate dip process will make everything pop and burn while welding. I think the slots in the original seam are just fro drainage. Once done, ground, filled, primed, shutzed and finished, pump it full of wax :)

hey, your rear beam looks amazing if that's any consolation...

They were recommended by 3 different people on pistonheads.

Yes - the powder coating looks great, I was actually admiring it while on my side taking a break from being a fanny - but with less than a 100 miles on the road I would expect that to be the case!

How decent does the metal need to be -if the panels is meant to be 1.2mm and the panel on the car has thinned out - how thin can go down to, hoping to get away with 1.0 in some areas and not have to cut back a lot more metal.

With nearly the entire sill opened up I can treat the internal metal with something like kurust and then add some weld through primer. Getting the existing wax off is not going to be fun

• Like 1