GTI Upgrades

LR5V

Thanks @Sausage the only thing I have adjustable on the welder is wire speed, I’m thinking the 0.8 voltage may be too much for the 1.2mm thick sheet metal

I love urchfab great films -looking forward to seeing the mongrel built up. I like the practical way he goes about stuff.

@Rich where’s your build thread?

I can't be arsed to do a thread, I haven't done anything, standard except for changing the interior and retrofit heated seats.

I have a thread for the TT if you want to read that?

@LR5V I feel your pain. Oh dear. Who were the total numpties who just covered everything up?!!!

if it were me, I do the same as @Rich suggested. Cut everything back to decent metal, then fabricate new sills identical to original. Time consuming? Yeah, you bet. But will be worth it when done. Tack it all with fine 0.6mm every inch or two then hammer and pull and twist till it's perfectly straight. Turn your gas right up. The phosphate dip process will make everything pop and burn while welding. I think the slots in the original seam are just fro drainage. Once done, ground, filled, primed, shutzed and finished, pump it full of wax :)

hey, your rear beam looks amazing if that's any consolation...

59 minutes ago, mk2 said:

@LR5V I feel your pain. Oh dear. Who were the total numpties who just covered everything up?!!!

if it were me, I do the same as @Rich suggested. Cut everything back to decent metal, then fabricate new sills identical to original. Time consuming? Yeah, you bet. But will be worth it when done. Tack it all with fine 0.6mm every inch or two then hammer and pull and twist till it's perfectly straight. Turn your gas right up. The phosphate dip process will make everything pop and burn while welding. I think the slots in the original seam are just fro drainage. Once done, ground, filled, primed, shutzed and finished, pump it full of wax :)

hey, your rear beam looks amazing if that's any consolation...

They were recommended by 3 different people on pistonheads.

Yes - the powder coating looks great, I was actually admiring it while on my side taking a break from being a fanny - but with less than a 100 miles on the road I would expect that to be the case!

How decent does the metal need to be -if the panels is meant to be 1.2mm and the panel on the car has thinned out - how thin can go down to, hoping to get away with 1.0 in some areas and not have to cut back a lot more metal.

With nearly the entire sill opened up I can treat the internal metal with something like kurust and then add some weld through primer. Getting the existing wax off is not going to be fun

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

By the power of ebay I sourced these:

6JQ5Ag.jpg

I asked about custom sizes from the seller I linked to before,  1.2mm Zintec steel, probably longer than needed but went for 1.7m lengths - long enough for full sill. I feel £28 including delivered is great value.

Doesn't look it in the picture but the 25mm lip is folded at a right angle and should make a nice neat sill edge. The wider part is 75mm, went bigger here as I can cut it down to suit the wavering cut lines in the existing sill and floor pan.

In my part of the world the Weekend weather has continued to suck and other commitments have curbed my enthusiasm - but I do still need to source the thinner mig wire and tips, some more weld through primer + at least one spare argon mix gas bottle.

• 2 months later...

No news on the Lupo - weather, lack of time and motivation have been stopping me from fixing the sill

The daily:

lFwRKu.jpg

I was on the main road behind - the other car got waved out from this side road by someone being helpful but had not checked the filter lane I was in.. so not my fault

Both airbags deployed, I was on the horn with both hands, airbag made my right hand punch the screen and sprained my left wrist. The Golf still drove, the A5 that hit me was dead and had to be pushed.

Pay out was surprisingly generous and quick, crash on Thursday evening, money in account Tuesday, so I upgraded to this:

5NnHsk.jpg

Mk5 Gti 2.0 DSG - 86k miles, fully stamped up service book, with the DSG box serviced 5k miles ago. Really high spec, even has a sunroof that apparently is rare 

Unfortunately it wasn't being used often enough, I am having some binding brake issues. Sadly the 18" monza's are reps. It has a 3" cat back stainless exhaust that is non-resonated - the pops & crackles are nice, especially with the GSG box, but its too noisy, it just drones on the motorway, so its booked in to get it changed to resonated. Only cosmetic issue is a crusty hatch - I picked up a really good replacement in the same Graphite blue - the colour is lovely...however in the rain it is the same colour as wet tarmac!

Ouch.

yeah, you gotta watch for people being helpful... in other countries it's actually illegal to wave people through traffic. For this reason.

I'm amazed your hand is ok seeing that mark in the windscreen. Or maybe you're Conan.

Depends if you mean Conan the american late night TV presenter or the Barbarian!

It was taken to Copart and auctioned off after a week and a half. I was looking into getting it back, but all I could do is pick over the bones, I couldn't get the entire car - the cost in fees for me as joe public to do this was nearly £250 on-top of a bid, there was a good chunk of money in the parts but to quote myself: "weather, lack of time and motivation" + space to store everything was going to be a problem.

1 hour ago, LR5V said:

still sore after 3.5 weeks

Get it checked ASAP... most stuff heals in two. I once broke my hand and didn't bother for about 3 weeks. Then in hospital after they xrayed it, they had to re-break my bones which had begun to heal in the wrong place! With no local' either!!! yes it did.

4 hours ago, LR5V said:

No news on the Lupo - weather, lack of time and motivation have been stopping me from fixing the sill

The daily:

lFwRKu.jpg

I was on the main road behind - the other car got waved out from this side road by someone being helpful but had not checked the filter lane I was in.. so not my fault

Both airbags deployed, I was on the horn with both hands, airbag made my right hand punch the screen and sprained my left wrist. The Golf still drove, the A5 that hit me was dead and had to be pushed.

Pay out was surprisingly generous and quick, crash on Thursday evening, money in account Tuesday, so I upgraded to this:

5NnHsk.jpg

Mk5 Gti 2.0 DSG - 86k miles, fully stamped up service book, with the DSG box serviced 5k miles ago. Really high spec, even has a sunroof that apparently is rare 

Unfortunately it wasn't being used often enough, I am having some binding brake issues. Sadly the 18" monza's are reps. It has a 3" cat back stainless exhaust that is non-resonated - the pops & crackles are nice, especially with the GSG box, but its too noisy, it just drones on the motorway, so its booked in to get it changed to resonated. Only cosmetic issue is a crusty hatch - I picked up a really good replacement in the same Graphite blue - the colour is lovely...however in the rain it is the same colour as wet tarmac!

That's a nice upgrade,my mate had one manual.He now drives evoques brand new swaps every three years,still says the golf was the best car he has had!

26 minutes ago, Y2ACP said:

That's a nice upgrade,my mate had one manual.He now drives evoques brand new swaps every three years,still says the golf was the best car he has had!

Yeah - All the nice stuff people say about the Mk5 Gti is true.... I don't currently have an urge to change anything, its good enough as it is now.  DSG is awesome in sport mode, rev matching on downshift in the twisty stuff and throw it into drive and its great in traffic - still need to try launch mode!

1 hour ago, Smudger said:

Mk5 looks nice bud. I did the same thing in my crash. I am having physio on my hand currently my crash was in March so prepare for the long haul with the soreness/stiffness 

Cheers Man - will monitor the situation

3 hours ago, mk2 said:

Upper, driver's side, rear door hinge please... (to go on my Lupo which is worn out). £5 incl postage?

Be a couple of weeks but absolutely fine.

Need anything for the mk4?

Yeah a shockingly bad French design is the 01M... The diff crown gear works loose (rivets fail). The diff bearings start to go at about 60k miles and the pinion shaft bearing (diff end) also starts to go around 80. Oh, and the seal between the diff and the gearshift system also fails, mixing the two fluids. 

But the gear shift system apparently lasts up to about 200k with regular fluid and filter changes. So I might be pulling the box next summer to get my local gearbox place to do an overhaul before it completely lets go. Just the diff section (diff & end covers and diff flanges off). SORN presently.

Know anyone that can rebuild a viscous (for my Rally)?

Edited by mk2