GTI Upgrades

LR5V

You will realise that an SDI tractor is the ultimate get you from A-B car... Not the most comfortable. THE most efficient however. Cheapest too. Only pain is cam belt changes. I hate SDI cam belt changes.

Bad shaking is usually an injector not delivering right. Both my SDIs are 'almost' as smooth as a petrol. Each injector needs to deliver 'exactly' the same amount of fuel (VCDS provides handy individual delivery numbers). But you may remember the hell I went through to try and rectify those problems a while back. Learned loads about the pump based direct injection system though. Get that blue one on here if you enjoy fixing rusty bits. It looks ok, complete with decent interior- just respray the patches needed.

Still nothing beats the smoothness of my V12... :)

23 hours ago, lupogtiboy said:

Hope the picture below helps!

It does - Thanks

22 hours ago, Rich said:

20 and 22a are the most annoying bolts in the world when you're under a car and the lines won't let you get that magic angle that seems to let everything fall into place.

Yes - those are the ones I am dreading

12 hours ago, mk2 said:

Mk4 is a comfy car. 

I have removed as much comfyness out of mine as possible, currently I would just settle for one that works!  Really starting to think I am cursed:

2 weeks ago I changed the drivers side engine mount on the Mk4 and since then I have had an intermittent throttle problem, 17581 throttle angle is the one fault.

Tried another throttle body from a Skoda 1.8t - same PN, no change

Replaced plug and part of the loom with genuine repair cables at the throttle, no joy.

Auto electrician checked my wiring, all good back to the ECU, he diagnosed messed up ECU

Tried a matched set of ECU, clocks & key off ebay, no change.

Last night  - my Mk4 Guru friend came over, we tried a 3rd ECU, a 3rd Throttle body, no change - even tried a Lupo one! - tried disconnecting the Lambda, opened the original ECU to check for burn out -none. He re-flashed the ECU with rear lambda, SAI, Charcoal & another sensor - all deleted. fault still there. Then throttle body wouldn't adapt, thought it was low voltage but we added jump leads 14v and it still wouldn't adapt. Re-checked continuity to ECU and correct pins - all checked out. The one thing my friend spotted was the throttle values spike on crank and the values in VAG-scope go from being inverse to opposites, we cant work out why.

The only thing not changed is the accelerator pedal, but this would throw up different codes.

If it is any consolation once it bites then they're easy bolts.

Vice grips to hold the pipe and a small zip tie holding the washer in place till you have a few threads will save you muchos grief. (Golden advice)

As for the MK4, firstly you should have bought the AUM, you would have many many spares.

My mate is selling it again after a belt and a bit tidying, consider it.

The accelerator pedal potentiometer at the top is actually adjustable if you look, go have a play and calibrate it.

Check for manifold leaks... they can result in wrong diagnoses a lot. Brake servo pipe cracks are common (sucking in air).

you can measure the voltages on the TPS while it moves.

it coukd be the ignition on loom supply bus. I think there's a relay, like in lupos.

Got picture service to work - Superligerra non PS set up next to 9N non AC bracket - bolt holes show alternator was a good 50mm lower with the non PS bracket:

a8es9K.jpg

Not done any work on the Lupo - weather has been utter **** and Mk4 daily is still off the road, current theory is loom is pinched somewhere creating an intermittent fault.

Going to bi-pass the throttle loom as a semi temporary fix, currently met office says the snow, rain and wind will stop tomorrow - finger crossed Mk4 first, then the Lupo MOT items.

No worries Rich

Good news - Daily is fixed.

It was something damaged or crushed in the loom, ran new cables direct from throttle body to ECU, soldering and heat shrinking the connections, all good now apart from its now a standard tune 150bhp 1.8t Gti - I know its going to be a day or so before it adjusts itself to all the bits and bobs I have done to it, but wow its quite slow -the previous stage 1 map made such a difference, currently very little mid range.

Also managed to work on the Lupo, got the alternator bracket on, PS pump attached, grabbed the 1070 belt... no chance it will fit - will have to look into belt size. On the MOT hit list, I only managed to sort the fuel filter with a couple of cable ties. Poor progress was due to most of the time spent on an extensive search for the PS pipes, still not located the Lupo's old ones, everything was bagged up to stop fluid leaking, but I found the ones that came with the Polo Gti engine:

Cj4YxS.jpg

They are not in the best of conditions, return line from rack has been repaired:

aLQ2Lw.jpg

Remind me - this ridged hump back bit in the HP line goes over the gearbox around shiftier, the insulated section of pipe between block and exhaust manifold??

9WDFEp.jpg

The problem I now have is I need the banjo bolts for the rack - these were in the missing bag with the old pump, reservoir and the hoses were in better nick.

left to do on the MOT hit list:

• Front top mounts,
  • offside ARB bush - struggling to understand the issue here
  • Fuelling - the figures they got fuel was off the chart, going to book an afternoon MOT chuck some Redex in and dive it all morning, if that fails I may have to chuck the Polo Gti ECU in temporarily just for the test

More good news, after charging my battery over night, I checked its voltage it was only 11v -so the battery isn't holding charge.

On 3/16/2019 at 8:37 PM, LR5V said:

Not done any work on the Lupo - weather has been utter **** 

Just spotted my previous post about the weather, the swear filter doesn't like the colloquial term for testies!

It doesn't like balls?

The Polo Pas lines will work but the Lupo ones are specific and nice as they both go around the drivers side of the chassis which is cleaner.

8 hours ago, Rich said:

The Polo Pas lines will work but the Lupo ones are specific and nice as they both go around the drivers side of the chassis which is cleaner.

Let me get this right. Polo lines fit lupo, but lupo don't fit polo? Another gem from @Rich. Thank you :)

On a Lupo GTi the pas lines don't go around the gearbox, they go around the alternator side of the box, cleaner and shorter.

The Polo GTi uses the same lines as most lupos going the long way, Lupo lines do work on a Polo.

My revised six speed Polo GTi used Lupo lines, originally it used Polo ones with zip ties.

Lupo and 6n2 share the same chassis at the front 

That sounds a bit more sensible. Why oh why do they go the whole way round the engine bay? Never thought about it till now. Does seem a bit clumsy. Hmmm.

Is the gti PAS pump in the same place as an SDI? Never worked on a gti lupo. Probably a different pump... or something's different for sure?

I can't remember the SDI that much but the TDI uses a 6n style bottle on the front of the slam panel because the usual spot has a diesel filter in it.

I suppose the theory of the longer lines is that they have cooling qualities?