Wanted: Lupo Windscreen

ravensthorne

they are not the easiest to remove. removing my old one with an expert still required two of us. And when they do slide the blade and cutting wire through the glue, the bodywork often gets scratched out of site. no big deal you think... except a couple of years later, the rain that keeps the scratch permanently damp in that gap starts corrosion and within no time you have blistering and then a hole. be sure to seal any scratches before regluing.

Mk2 - thanks for the heads-up on the trickiness and potential pitfalls...

I might not need the screen after all. 

I watched a couple of youtube clips on windscreen repair this afternoon...  So, this American chap, armed with a Dremmel, gently drilled a tiny hole right at the end of the crack, just through the first layer of glass until the drillbit hit the squidgy middle layer.  After which he used a DIY resin filler (like Autoglass do). 

Well, as i said in the original post, the crack has been getting larger at the rate of approximately an inch per day for the last four days.  So, I thought at this rate the screen will be completely knackered in a couple of weeks!

Sod it then!  I did the same Dremmel trick as the American chap and, although I haven't yet bought the resin repair kit, I've given the glass all around the crack a few firm knocks with the palm of my hand and I cannot get the crack to go any further than the drill hole.

I'll buy the resin repair kit and report back on the results.  God bless youtube (I hope),  and thanks again for your advice/caution.

CHEERS!

Edited by ravensthorne
edited for even worse grammar than before. This is what 3 large Malbecs do!

there's definitely a joke i remember relating to stopping cracks in aircraft wings- something about starfighter f-104 aircraft wings falling off and toilet paper never tears along the perforations or something. what am i on about...!? ?

yes you can stop a crack dead by drilling a hole at the end of it :) neat trick.

Edited by mk2