1.7 SDI gearbox needed

davecage

Hi

My daughters 1.7 SDI yellow peril (Larry) gearbox has given up, and I'm after a replacement, anyone got a spare gearbox hanging around, I believe any of these work DXQ, DED, FFV, ETF & FDQ 

She loves this car and I'd hate to scrap it, we have spent two days looking at other newer cars, but she hates all of them, just wants Larry back.

Thanks 

Dave..

Edited by davecage

It's not much to fully recon it is it? 700 quid I guess.

Don't forget to use 80w90 instead of 75w90. My gearbox is somewhere in the world. Only 172k miles on when I sold the car.

i know for sure that there are three available with members on here. can't remember who. bear in mind that the sdi gearing ratios are different to most of the other 085 boxes out there. they go for between £75 and £300 depending if the bearings have been replaced or not yet. bung a post in wanted...

Edited by mk2

skezza, i've tried different grades in my SDIs. i've observed that the thick mineral based oil is fab once warmed up. But on really cold mornings, it's really hard changing gear as the oil between the synchro friction surfaces takes a bit longer to get squeezed out of the way. once the inner and outer rings lock you get a lovely smooth shift. so i now run two grades. thick mineral based oil in june-sept and the runny synthetic in the colder months. i can't think of any other way round it as there no such thing as a synthetic 5w120 or similar in the uk. maybe my boxes just need rebuilding.

I put in 80w90 around the time I felt my gearbox might become prone to failure. Was on about 110k miles. Shifts on cold mornings were slightly tighter but never too hard. Summer I felt it was actually smother though. More to the point, on 172k miles when I sold the car, that gearbox was still spot on. Luck, possibly but the 085 box was originally designed for EP90 I believe, and then they revised it to 80w90. Upon revision to 75w90, gearbox failures became commonplace.

yeah I've read on other forums that when people rebuild their boxes, they deliberately score the synchro friction surfaces with deep grooves to help the thicker oil escape faster. there are some nice examples out there of that. google the pics.... 

i reckon the reason your box lasted is because you looked after it. none of this new driver hard shifting trying to bend the gear stick type thing..... :)

i wonder what EP85W140 would be like in a 085 box?

Edited by mk2

On 04/04/2018 at 7:29 PM, mk2 said:

yeah I've read on other forums that when people rebuild their boxes, they deliberately score the synchro friction surfaces with deep grooves to help the thicker oil escape faster. there are some nice examples out there of that. google the pics.... 

i reckon the reason your box lasted is because you looked after it. none of this new driver hard shifting trying to bend the gear stick type thing..... :)

i wonder what EP85W140 would be like in a 085 box?

Possibly. I was very forgiving on the box, and I changed the oil.... only once, but I still changed it, which is often more than the majority of others out there. Amazing that VW didn't actively encourage Gearbox oil changes.

I also swapped the selector seal.

• 2 weeks later...

My car is about 350k km (217k miles), I changed the oil in the box twice and every time I put the vw g50.
It still works very well both at -30 degrees celsius and at +40 degrees celsius.  Of course I always made sure that the box is full (I swapped the selector seal once) and I periodically greased the selector mechanism.

1 hour ago, lupo 1.7sdi said:

My car is about 350k km (217k miles), I changed the oil in the box twice and every time I put the vw g50.
It still works very well both at -30 degrees celsius and at +40 degrees celsius.  Of course I always made sure that the box is full (I swapped the selector seal once)

Yes, G50 seems to be working perfectly well for me too, like you I've replaced the selector seal and keep the box topped up.

1 hour ago, lupo 1.7sdi said:

I periodically greased the selector mechanism.

Do you mean the selector shaft, or the linkage mechanisms?

especially that little cream coloured plastic link thing that snaps onto the two steel ball joints. i cant believe that vdub just used a little disk of neoprene rubber to keep the grease in and the dirt out.