Sifty's red GTI

sifty

Hey all, 

Here's some pics of the Lupo GTI we just picked up. It's 100% stock and in pretty good condition for the age and 150,000kms on the clock. 
Plans are just to tidy up a few little things and keep it as a fun little runabout. 

725864156.jpg

725864020.jpg

2018-02-24 11.31.42 HDR.jpg

725864366.jpg

Very nice! I'm guessing a Japanese import? Only missing the towing eye covers as well. I'd love one of those mini-disc headunits as well!

Oh and nice selection of other cars too!

Edited by lupogtiboy

That is a fab looking car. How do people react when they see it in kiwi land? I don't think the Polo was ever imported to NZ either, so my guess is that people must wonder what it is....? Do you guys still have that mad import tariff thing going on? You used to have something like 500% on imported cars (car value plus shipping cost) or something silly. When i visited, there were old pommie and jap cars and real rusty bits of junk being sold for ten times the uk value... I wanted to buy then sell a car to tour round but thought there's no way I'm paying £10k for a rusty car worth only a few hundred quid. And you used to have that priority to the right rule which nearly caused me to have a few head on crashes. Solution was to never indicate when turning left!

Thanks guys. The MD headunit is a cool feature. The guy I bought it off gave me a folder of old MDs that a friend of his had given him - that sounds good, but she was a gym instructor :D so it's mostly a collection of music you would've heard in a workout class circa 2000. 

MK2 - Sounds like it's been a while since you visited here. A lot of people don't know what a Lupo is, but Polo's are very common and were sold new here from the mid '90s I think. 
We don't have the crazy tariffs anymore so cars are relatively affordable now. Due to all the used Japanese imports we still have a relatively old average fleet age though. 
We got rid of that stupid priority right turn rule in 2012

9 hours ago, lupogtiboy said:

Very nice! I'm guessing a Japanese import? Only missing the towing eye covers as well. I'd love one of those mini-disc headunits as well!

Oh and nice selection of other cars too!

Cheers. Yes it's a Jap import. I don't think I've seen a UK import here, which is the only other option.  I have the towing eye covers on order and the only other thing I really need cosmetically is a new shift boot. 

I've heard there is one of these in a breakers yard near me, I'll have to go and see what's left on it. 

9 hours ago, Rich said:

I would well love an MD unit.

i still have my collection, minidisc will return.

Never went that far away. Musicians still use it a lot. Great format though.