A little Vag com help

Evening all.

EML popped up yesterday on the gti. Scanned and cleared the fault. Drove into work this morning. No problem. Went to drive home - EML back on.

Scan results ( I scan as a 6x as Ross tech list 6e as a type 6L only).

5 faults on engine

17911 load signal from alternator term DF p103 35-00 implausible signal

18010 power supply terminal 30 P1602 35-10 voltage too low intermittent.

17833 evap purge N80 p1425 short to ground

17935 camshaft riming adj. bank 1 N205 p1527 35-00 Short to ground

16394 Bank 1 camshaft A intake P0010 35-00 position actuator malfunction

1 other log of an alarm trigger 01463. But that could have been me at some point.

The last three I have seen before when my breather heater had taken out fuse 30 or 31.

Not seen the first two before. Any clues or advice?

Cheers - Chris. 

clean up your terminals which will be corroding and then rescan.

the plugs at the front of the engine on the gearbox bracket are prone to corrosion and the bottom one (two pin) is the alternator.

Just to check - the terminals that may be corroding are in the fuse box arrangement above the gearbox? One has four fuses in, the other what looks like a jump start connection.

Contact cleaner in the multi pin connectors at the front, gearbox end of the engine?

• 5 months later...

Six months later... I'd better sort this.

This is on a GTI, so plugs I am looking for are the same - on the gearbox bracket? I thought it would be easy to trace this and find the earths etc. Found two facing forward by the passenger side light. One 13mm nut one 10mm with a brown on it. Stupidly hard to get in there. 

• 8 months later...

8 months of ignoring it....

Now I have a proper fault. Alternator dash light is on and engine idle is high. Once revs reach 2800 - 3000, light goes out. Sometimes it comes back on when revs drop at a junction. Sometimes not. Even after light has gone out and after a 10 mile drive, the idle is still sitting at about 1100-1200 rpm. The obvious conclusion is alternator on the way out. But I think this could be related to the earths. I found a few down on the gearbox side wing, but never found the others. Can someone point me in the right direction? Any thoughts on this alternator / idle issue?

Cheers - Chris.

Nostalgia! Being towed home after breaking down. Alternator dead, battery flat. Just whip that off then. Err, no. Screws for reg are partially obscured and seized. No way of getting that bottom bolt out without dropping the engine?

Thanks all.

I borrowed a support beam - fantastic thing, not used one before. Hooked it straight onto the engine lifting eye. Undid the three LH engine mount bolts and lowered the engine, slipped bolt out and wiggled the alternator off. Undid the cables with it loose by the Rad. It just about wriggles out without removing anything other than the connector clipped to the slam panel. Green corrosion visible up at the regulator wiring. Fortunately had a spare complete alternator to fit. Worst part for me was winding the tensioner round enough to get the belt back on the alternator pulley, without the wrench handle pushing the belt away from where you want it to go. Its all very tight!

Scan, cleared codes and re-scan. All looks good, and idle back to normal.

This is a pretty quick job with the right tools, and knowing how to approach it. I put the feet of the beam in line with the wing bolts. The wings are very thin and flexible. I just watched the engine mount until I saw the motor start to lift. Get ham fisted with it and I bet you could do a lot of damage.