Greetings from the Canada!

oprn

Yes, but.... the overall diameter of the wheels and tyre combination works out the same for all combos listed inside the fuel door. So (here's my plea for mercy...), for rough potholed roads like we have around where I live, it makes sense to have a deeper profile tyre. And being an SDI tractor, handling isn't critical. Anyone convinced? 

Yes, I put some 17" wheels on my daughter's '92 Jetta with tyres that have about an 1.5" side wall height. While the handling is improved some the ride took a serious turn for the worse. Quite frankly it's bone jarring. I would hate to see what a pot hole would do!

Interesting though about the 13" wheels as I tried a set on the front of Franklin and they would not fit over the brake calipers. They fit fine on the rear.

• 1 month later...

The new tyres are working out just fine, no rubbing and just a little off on the speedo. We took Franklin for a spin out west (10 hours one way) at the weekend to see the grand babies. He did just fine up the mountain passes as long as we got our foot down the carb a little in advance of the grades. There is still a bit of snow at the higher elevations this time of year and we could see our breath. The lou was a bit chilly to sit on too! The clouds were a bit low so the majesty of the peaks was hidden this time. About 1/2 of the mountain is covered here.

IMG_1817.JPG

IMG_1820.JPG

• Like 2

Last but not least... anyone for new oversized Lupo tyres? We saw 7 truck loads of these! We should have taken the time to get Franklin in this photo for contrast!

IMG_1821.JPG

Edited by oprn
add photo
  • Haha 1

Oprn  had no idea you were in Canada when you replied to my post!.... keep that green girl running ❤️

You think it's hard to get parts in the British Isles, you should try it here! Oil and tyres are about the only thing that is readily available. I'm still looking for a clutch pulley for the AC compressor. Got the part number from this site but it means nothing on this side of the pond.

It's a crying shame these cars were never offered for sale here, the more we drive it the more in love we are!

Here it is. 6N0820803B I would be happy to send someone money if they could find one for me and ship it please! Or point me to a reliable vendor who would.

Edited by oprn

Thanks Rich! This part number 6N0820803B seems to only bring up complete AC compressor assemblies not just the clutch assembly. Buying the whole thing is ok if that is the only option but the cost is going to be much higher both for the part and for shipping across the pond. 

For those that are interested in our part of the world, here is the first flower of spring. The Prairie Crocus, getting a bit rare these days as once the land has been cultivated they rarely come back. We have a few pockets of virgin land out here so we feel very fortunate to still be able to find them! I'm about 3 weeks late posting this but it will give you some idea of what they look like.

IMG_1685.JPG

It looks like we have a complete used AC compressor on the way. I am a bit nervous about buying parts sight unseen off Flee Bay but it seemed to be our only option at this point. The price was not that high, we didn't have to mortgage the farm so even if the whole thing goes south no one will be left living under a bridge! 😄

Yes you said that once before, I was waiting for a response but it didn't come so I assumed you didn't find one. All good one on the way!

Now, the new tyres we bought seem to have a bit of a shake to them. The missus took the car back today to get them re- balanced but not any better. Our tire guy says it's because the rims are multi fit and are missing the centering ring. No, there was no centering rings with these wheels, should there be? 

wheel.JPG

We happen to like the looks of these wheels. Are they inferior? I don't recall them being out of balance when we got the car, is it possible that our tire man's wheel balancer is out of calibration? Do they not center on the wheel bolts ok? Would making centering rings for them fix it?