Greetings from the Canada!

oprn

• 4 weeks later...

Had a snow and a blow here that added to our driveway drift. Snow blower turns out to be a bit undersized for this one and won't even climb the hill. Rototiller did though.

IMG_3517.JPG

IMG_3521.JPG

IMG_3544.JPG

It took 4 hours alternating between the blower and the old David Brown to get a hole through big enough for Franklin. That stuff was packed like cement! 

IMG_3559.JPG

IMG_3564.JPG

Right after the storm the sun came out and gave us these lovely sun dogs. The old timers say that sun dogs predict a drop in temperature and true to form we woke up to -36* C the next morning! As you can imagine, no proper English tractor would think of starting in that weather even with the block heater plugged in! I had to wait a few days for the weather to moderate before attempting to start it. Good tractor, just not built for cold weather.

IMG_3524.JPG

• 1 month later...

Really and truly we don't get that much snow here, it's the wind that piles it all up in great heaps that we hate! It's just relentless! The fields are nearly bare but the ditches, bush patches and our yards have huge drifts in them.

The sun has warmed the snow up and settled it now so the fun part begins! I got the old sand rail out and went drift climbing in the yard. In the first picture you can see that the drift goes right over the barbed wire fence. Notice the fields in the background are bare.

IMG_3700.JPG

IMG_3709.JPG

IMG_3716.JPG

IMG_3691.JPG

Edited by oprn
Add text

Seems Franklin has developed an exhaust leak. He is sounding a bit like a tractor these days so I need to get him up in the air to see what the problem is.

• Like 1

Franklin just turned over 180,000 km yesterday and still running great! How long do these little 1.4 liter engines last? Anyone worn one out?

Yup. But lots of oil changes help. And not working the engine hard until its warmed up.

We included code in a few manufacturer's ECUs to restrict RPMs when cold (plus a timer in case of sensor failure). I think every engine should have that function.

I took a peak under Franklin, the muffler has let go and is dangling from the rear mount. Hmmm... short stubby little devil, going to be a challenge to find something to fit on this side of the pond!

Something from a Hyundai or Subaru might fit. But yeah they are small. The way the tail pipe is welded in where it doubles back on itself makes it tricky. The middle box is pretty much a standard thing that you could find for many cars.

2 hours ago, oprn said:

I took a peak under Franklin, the muffler has let go and is dangling from the rear mount. Hmmm... short stubby little devil, going to be a challenge to find something to fit on this side of the pond!

Weld it back on already .....

It has been dissolved by the salt Gods or I would!

Maybe it's time for a straight pipe? V - O - O - M - BA, V - O - O - M - BA!!! 

Na...

Edited by oprn

You are correct Rich, the muffler is not in that bad of condition. It has an outer skin that looks tough but the basic muffler seems sound. I get under the car now and discover that every exhaust hanger is broken front to rear. 

I got it all welded back together and Franklin is freshly washed, oil changed, summer tyres on and back to his quiet cheerful self. What a great little car!

• 1 month later...

It seems now the flex pipe is cracked! It looks like the replacements are weld in only. Am I seeing that correctly? I am looking at the Autodoc site. While I am ordering parts I would like to buy rotors and pads for the front, looks like I might need them soon but wow! There are so many choices on that site. How do I choose and get the correct ones? Were there that many different brakes for the Lupo?

Also the window switch for the right side door glass quit working. The window goes down but not back up. Can these switches be bought new or do I have to find one used? 

Edited by oprn

• 2 weeks later...

Tried that, couldn't see anything wrong with it but still won't work. I switched plugs so now it's the left window that goes down and won't go back up... from the driver's side that is but it works fine on the left door switch.

Edited by oprn

• 3 months later...

Franklin is pulling a new trick, the oil light comes on randomly it seems. Flashes a few times and usually goes off. Sometimes it stay on and the only way to turn it off is to shut the car off and re-start it.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Ya that hurricane thing is 3600 km from here. You are nearly as close! The news will inform us both equally on that front.

No I need to try that. Is it the same as the pressure switches in the TDIs?

• 1 month later...

Sad day today! Franklin has a new home. Sad to see him go though, we have some good memories. 

Some young English chap saw him and had to have him. Well, there is a couple reasons we let him go. The first and foremost is that with the steady upward creep of parcel volumes coming through the mail it has been increasingly difficult to fit it all into Franklin in one trip. Also there has been a number of electrical issues cropping up that are a bit frustrating. 

We will be going back to the Forester for now until something more suitable comes up. Looking for a Golf/Jetta/ Passat variant for the cargo room. I will still be lurking about here in the background now and then just because I have a Lupo soft spot in my heart...

A big "thank you" to all who have shared their Lupo wisdom on this site. You have made the journey much more enjoyable!

Edited by oprn
  • Like 2