Greetings from the Canada!

oprn

Hey guys! I just found a red 2004 Lupo GTI! Having a hard time not pulling the trigger on this one! 

Question: what grade of petrol does it require? All we have is 87 octane locally which is the same as your 91 RON.

04 lupo.jpg

Edited by oprn

Now stop it. You have enough Lupos! I mean, where is the next nearest to your's on your side of the planet?

If you do get another, it just has to be the left hand drive version, so you can run it against all those tanks out there (and win). It wouldn't look any different to being on a german autobahn then.

I wouldn't worry about the fuel rating. There's a knock sensor which tweaks the ignition point. But ultimately, if it can't pull in the timing at wide open throttle, you could just bung in a restrictor ring to choke it a bit. Or add a resistor to the temp sensor to make it slightly richer (quench action).

PM me the link to the Jap site. Just curious to read the details...

Ya sure, send you the link indeed! You just want to get the jump on me is all! 😒

I am concerned because our Forester has a rattle now that I think is piston slap or possibly a cracked piston skirt. We have not been religious about using premium and mostly use a octane boost additive.

2004 Volkswagen Lupo GTI 113,000km - B-Pro Auto JDM Imports (b-pro.ca)

Edited by oprn

Nothing you can't sort out I'd guess.... :)

Is importing RHD Jap cars a thing in Canada? It seems relatively common here in the UK, as they drive on the same side as the UK. But in Canada? This broker is Canadian... for Jap cars. Seems so odd. 

It's like you see a fair few yank tanks in Europe (with mods to make them comply with EU rules), as they drive on the same side of the road. A "left hooker" is generally worth a fair bit less here in the UK. 

Wouldn't you prefer a German car, or even better from southern Spain, where there's little rain and no winter road salt?

Your Lupo is used for deliveries and has an Auto box from memory? Makes perfect sense.

One of my Mk2 golfs is a LHD thing. I get scared like a girl when I need to overtake a truck on a windey road...!

Yes it is a thing here in Canada among the rice burner performance crowd. There are cars and engine options off the show room floors over there that were never offered here. Some of the factory Nisan, Subaru and Mazda cars that show up from there are stupid fast! What I like about thier cars is there is a marvellous selection of small fuel efficient ones that are not available here. I hate these huge fuel guzzling boat anchor barges that pass for cars in this country!

Yes my wife does deliver mail and RHD suits the job perfectly. I am thinking of flogging the Subaru on the used car market and the second Lupo would take it's place as back up for the wife's job. And maybe a bit of sporty buzzing around too? 😊

There are two situations that make me nervous with driving a RHD car here. Passing as you mentioned. The Lupo is not a problem with this as the only thing it can overtake is farm machinery But the Forester with it's 246 HP 2.0L engine was a whole different ball game! The other is left hand turns on a busy multi lane road. Seeing what's coming past other traffic from the wrong seat is a game of chance at best. One relies heavily on the co-pilot in both cases. 

A left hand drive would be sweet too but it would be no better than our present Jetta on the mail route.

Edited by oprn

• 2 weeks later...

This post has nothing to do with Franklin, my son rolled his Golf TDI and sold it for parts to a school friend so being the gullible Dad I am I made the 980Km one way trip to bring it back for his Buddy. Some here seem to like our mountain scenery and there was lots of that on this trip. First, the unfortunate victim. Then some of the scenery. It was quite mild for this time of year, coldest encountered was -26C at the top of one of the passes. -45C is not uncommon there.

And one of the snow sheds built built to let the avalanches pass over the road without shutting the traffic down.

IMG_1425.JPG

IMG_1415dd.JPG

IMG_1411.JPG

IMG_1396.JPG

IMG_1377.JPG

IMG_1378.JPG

IMG_1420.JPG

• Like 1

Now that is some classy scenery. Not fair. Just fields and housing estates here (mostly).

At least it was a mk4 which is built like a tank. Hopefully no injury?

Bet your son's friend was pleased for free delivery! :)

No injury but very disappointing as the older VWs with the ALH engines are getting very hard to find with a good rust free body. This one was good! The drive trains on these cars way outlast the bodies.

No not free delivery, I am making a trade for shop time in his heated facility with a lift to do some work on my cars.

Edited by oprn

• 2 weeks later...

Franklin let us down for the first time this morning! Turned over but no fire. Maybe it's time for new spark plugs again?

IMG_1491.JPG

IMG_1490.JPG

• Like 1

That's cold. -12c is the coldest i've ever seen here in south uk.

It won't be the plugs. It's never ever the plugs. Usually leads, then coil pack(s) or crank sensor- if no spark. Otherwise, fuel pump or filter- possibly clogged (with ice crystals in your case!).

Although power loom relay fault can stop the injectors firing.

Ya, I was trying to make a joke. It's the cold. Turns over but just barely. The Jetta and Forester would not start either and they were all plugged in but the old Dodge Cummins fired right up. It must have some big brute  of a block heater! At this temperature lots of cars don't start.

Temp went up to -30 today but we have a 50 km/h wind so that makes the wind chill factor to be the same as -49. Not a pretty day! having trouble with the water freezing off coming into the house.

• Like 1

All service lines are buried a minimum of 8' underground. That is normally deep enough to be below the frost level but occasionally an extended cold snap without enough snow cover and even that is not good enough. My problem though is that my water line comes up in the root cellar and the pressure tank and filter are in there before it goes into the house. Over the last 20 years the wood structure of the root cellar has shifted opening up some cracks so that when the wind blows from the North West it gets draughty in there and it is hard to keep the temperature up. We only got down to -4 in there but that when left overnight with no water flow is all it takes to freeze the system off. All good now, I put an electric heater in there and a fan to stir the air around so in about 3 hours we are back in business.

A touch of frost like that by the way really sweetens up the potatoes but we will have to watch out for spoilt ones now!

It warmed up to -30 overnight so I'm thinking Franklin should be in the mood to run now.

Edited by oprn

Oil light also flashes when oil pressure sensor is faulty or does not match pressure range  (in case someone used part from different VAG engine).

I hope your wife will enjoy this car and post boxes will be not too high from ground.

Best regards.

Nevermind, I just replied to very old post. 

BTW i think very few cars would be able to start at -40c

Edited by ObjectiveAway

No it did not go. It attempted, made a few promising fires and then quit trying. I'm not sure if it is because of low battery voltage that it quit firing or flooded with fuel. The problem with fuel injection sometimes is that when flooded you can't just hold it to the floor to clear it out like carbureted cars. The system keeps flogging the fuel in anyway. The bonnet release is so stiff that if I force it we will have a broken plastic release lever again just like last winter so boosting it right now is not an option.

Just be patient I guess until we get a break in this cold. The old Dodge is still starting. I need to find room to keep these cars out of the wind. That is what is sucking the heat out of the block heaters. Even though the temperature is better today the wind is still strong making it feel like -46.

Edited by oprn

Thats simply amazing whats happening out there. Next time You can try to release the hood before leaving the car to freeze. Mine hood opener also works bad in cold weather, I actually need to lift the hood by hands to complete the hood realease, might be this technique helps you out.

Ya tried lifting and tried pushing down but neither one works right now. Back down to -38 again this morning so - rather than get rough and brake something I will just wait a bit more...

OMG! Just amazing. I simply cannot imagine how some materials like soft bendy stretchy plastics and rubbers behave when they get that cold. You must get brittle impact cracks all the time. At least you don't suffer from melting dashboards like in Spain or Australia at 50c in the shade.

• Like 1

Yes plastic does not do so well in the cold. This is why I chose to wait rather than force the issue because the hood release handle is plastic and last winter it snapped off. Things get stiff and I could tell It was going to brake if I pushed my luck. I could have boosted the car and got it going but this way I am not trying to get another release handle shipped across the pond.

Every couple of months Franklin idles rough and has no power. I think this is some sort of "limp home" mode. We just shut him off and restart again and all is good. Happened again yesterday in the middle of Sandra's mail run. Not sure the cause but it goes away on it's own... so far.

Still -30 this morning but the forecast is for more moderate temperatures in 4 more days.

Edited by oprn
  • Like 1

You might enjoy a bit of local natural history. I didn't drive closer because I am not stupid enough to want to shovel my way back out at -25 C especially since I just ran into town quick for a jug of milk for the grandsons. You can see where the horns of the buffalo rubbed a ring in the stone. These stones are actually fairly common on the prairie.

IMG_1529.JPG

IMG_1531.JPG

IMG_1530.JPG

• Like 1