Greetings from the Canada!

oprn

He put 771grams of R134a in it. Only once in the last 20 years have I seen the temperature go over 40 here. Mid 30s is usually the hottest we get and it's a dry heat so not so bad.

So was the same as a mk4 golf... cool. Good to have it confirmed. I guess you get continental climate rather than atlantic based weather. Next week we're expecting 35c. Then the following 14c.

• 2 months later...

Franklin has developed an intermitted miss! Mostly on start up and sometimes felt on the road. I suspect the plugs have done thier time (121,000Km) and need new ones. I pulled one out tonight and wow! What a gap! NGK M8XH 101000062AB R1 PZFR5D not sure how much of this number is needed. Wish me luck in finding new ones, it could be another adventure...

plug 0.JPG

Use a gapping tool, bend the tang over and back to 0.8mm... plugs last forever. But you need a hotter rated plug. The ceramic bit is slightly darker than it should be.

https://www.ngk.com/learning-center/article/200/how-do-i-find-a-colder-or-hotter-plug

I'm a bit concerned for you though, as a gap like that shouldn't cause a misfire. Are all the plugs the same colour? Could be a sign of a head gasket just beginning its journey to the end or maybe a coil failure (very common).

Edited by mk2

I tried your link to see if there is a hotter plug made in that part number and nothing came up. Maybe just don't know how to work it.

This is what the new ones look like. 

plug 4.JPG

So it turns out that the first two at the timing belt end looked like the one I posted earlier. the other two looked like this. I'm thinking those ones were the ones not firing properly and that is why they are dark in color.

plug 6.JPG

OMG! I get the gap now... the irridium/platinum tip had broken clean off! Never seen that before. I had wondered why the central electrode was so rounded. Nice plugs. I don't think that they are standard fitment are they?

if they are in pairs (colours), that might suggest coil pack on the way out? It uses the double spark, or redundant spark system I think. So two plugs spark together. But hopefully i wrong and it may have just been the bigger gap.

Colour looks perfect otherwise. Hows it running after a year or so of ownership in Canada?

Aha! Yes it could be a wasted spark type ignition system. Interesting as I just fitted a Ford EDIS 4 wasted spark system to our air cooled engine in the Buggy. I have no idea if these plugs are standard fitment or not and no one this side of the big pond is likely to know either. I was very surprised to find them in town and in stock but they were pretty expensive! I started it up last night after putting the plugs in and no missing at idle. I will try it again this morning when it is colder. The worst missing was first thing in the morning at idle.

Franklin is running very well really. Twice in the last year the engine shut off on the road for no apparent reason but started again immediately. Happened many months apart so until it shuts down totally I will not find the problem. Not too worried about it though. Three times last winter the rear brake drums froze over night after a thaw and wet roads during the day. I think the fix for that is to not use the E brake in those conditions. Still loving it as far as mileage and being very comfortable to drive and ride in. Amazing amount of room inside for such a small car. More room for me in the front seats than our newer Jettas with thier pregnant dash and overstuffed looking door pads! 

I find the auto gearbox to be an irritant, I just feel like I should be doing something rather than just sitting there. Unemployed feeling so to speak - not used to that yet, I have worked my own gears all my life!

Edited by oprn

The cutting out is almost certainly a relay (109 i think?). Well known problem on all that gen vdubs. Linked to ignition switch (which also has its problems...).

"wasted spark" That's the term I was looking for... 👍🏻

You did end up doing a good service in the auto box? Both fluids... they like being serviced frequently. Last thing you need is that box going to lunch on you.

never heard of parking brake sticking after wet weather then freeze. But then again we don't get canadian extreme weather, which i find fascinating :)

Supposedly the auto box was service by the guy that did the inspection so yes considering the quality of his other work it would be good to do it again. Franklin is back to his old smooth running self the Missus tells me!

I will have a look for that relay.

Edited by oprn

• 3 months later...

Franklin pulled a trick the other day. My son was going to take him for a few weeks while I sorted out some deficiencies on his Gulf. Well Franklin would have none of it and threw a fit on the way out of the yard. "TPC"! Limp mode, no power. Back he came and loaded everything in the Jetta and took it. I tried Franklin out - TPC - would not go away. By the way, are these cars ODBII compatible? I could not find a plug...

That was last Sunday. Today we needed to take his Gulf 9 hours round trip to the guy I trust that does all my technical TDI work, wanted to take Franklin but had not had time to check him out further so took the Subaru - waste of gas - oh well... Got home early enough to have a go at Franklin and guess what?

THE BUGGER RUNS PERFECT!!! No codes, lots of power! What the heck?!

Edited by oprn

Thanks! Just a huge lack of power was the only symptom but it's normal again. We have a 2 hour drive this morning so I will take the code reader with us and we will see what happens.

Two hours on the road this morning and nothing - nadda - zippo! Found the plug and brought up the codes - nothing there and nothing in history either. SO - drive it I guess, can't fix what's not broken.

• 2 weeks later...

We have a bit of a cold snap going here, second morning at this temperature and they are promising us at least one more day before it moderates. Franklin is running just fine  but Sandra snapped off the plastic handle for the bonnet release. Bummer - cold + plastic, not that compatible. Then the hydraulic lift cylinder for the hatch gave up the ghost, common failure at this temperature and considering it is  original from 2002 I guess we could have expected that.

The second picture was sent to me by my son-in-law, enjoy!

IMG_2566.JPG

IMG_2567.JPG

Excellent! LOL! Chickens don't like walking on snow :)

You must have a block heater... the engine oil will have set solid i'd guess!

Bonnet release handle is the same on most dubs of that era (Jetta/Lupo/Passat). Just the moulding behind is different. Which bit broke? Ah hang on- you're RIght hand drive I think? You'll need one from the UK, not US or Europe.

1J2823533C i think.

To remove it, press a hidden button inside the handle at the back then it pulls off (while pressing). here's one in grey:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vw-Lupo-Bonnet-Release-Pull-Handle/274170537910

Edited by mk2

• 3 weeks later...

I am thinking of making up an order of spares for Franklin, air filters, oil filters, timing belt - those sort of hard to find over here bits. Do you chaps have a recommendation on a vender in your neck of the woods that would be reasonable and helpful to someone from across the big pond? Also any obvious other high maintenance items come to mind? Thanks Merv!

Oh! And we need a new gas pressure strut to hold up the rear hatch. It failed on one of those - 40 days. 

Edited by oprn