Two types of B12 ProKit sold by Bilstein for Lupo GTI?

luiscamino

I've had the B12 kit on my Arosa for many many years. I've had my Lupo GTI for a year now, and the time has come to replace the suspension (I bought it with stock shocks but lowering no-name springs, so it's a mess). I want to put the B12 kit on it but it's turning out to be more complicated than I thought...

Apparently Bilstein is now (or always has been?) selling two different kits for the Lupo GTI, with the exact same name (B12 ProKit). One lowers the car 15mm, which is new to me (Part No. 46-256720). The other one lowers 30mm, but is suddenly indicated for cars without ABS only. :blink: (Part No. 46-190826, now replaced by 46-190833)

I can confirm this from three sources: the online Bilstein catalog (screenshot below), my local parts supplier's catalog (in Munich), and a phonecall they made directly to Bilstein which also confirmed it. They literally said "yes, Parts No. 46-190826 and its replacement 46-190833 lower the car 30mm but are only for cars without ABS."

First of all my Arosa was definitely lowered 30mm, but allright it didn't have ABS. Secondly, I don't know why this company is selling such a kit in Germany where ALL Lupo GTIs were sold with ABS/ESP.

But finally and most importantly, what does the ABS have to do with the suspension!?!? Are they just covering their asses for the slim chance that a lowered car makes the ABS or ESP system be less effective? The supplier was floating all sorts of FUD saying they won't guarantee it fits, they won't accept returns, etc... but I can't think of any reason why this 30mm B12 wouldn't work in my car.

What do you think? Am I missing something?

Bilstein_B12.PNG

Bilstein_B12_33.PNG

Not seen my lupo shocks yet, been having too much fun driving it

-but usually on VW's there is a bracket on the shock tube to mount a clip to hold the ABS sensor cable - this may be the difference

I would contact these guys in Germany n2o-Tuning they should be able to guide you -I used them for a B14 set up for my Golf, very good price at the time.

Currently their B12 kits are 484 & 493 euros (that is just under £440 - £100 less than domestic UK, but postage will eat into that saving)

https://www.n2o-tuning.com/bilstein-b12-pro-kit-sportfahrwerk-vw-lupo-6x1-6e1-bj-09-98-07-05/a-281019/

https://www.n2o-tuning.com/eibach-b12-sportfahrwerk-vw-lupo-6x1-6e1-bj-09.98-07.05/a-481058/

I am not currently in the market for new suspension, but Interested if they are still competitive on price?

Edited by LR5V
typo

2 hours ago, LR5V said:

Not see
n my lupo shocks yet, been having too much fun driving it-but usually on VW's there is a bracket on the shock tube to mount a clip to hold the ABS sensor cable - this may be the difference

Indeed there is. Nothing a cable tie can't solve though. 

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the tips! @LR5V great find. i contacted n2o tuning but still no reply. i even contacted Bilstein directly and nothing still...

i forgot to ask specifically about the purpose of that weird "15mm" kit. do they really make two kits with different heights? and most importantly, from which basis is the drop measured? a normal lupo or a GTI which is already 15 (?) mm lower than other Lupos?

i'll keep you posted. but i'm not pulling the trigger until i get an answer from the suppliers...

Allright, Bilstein replied. The most recent B12 kit part number 46-190833, which replaces 46-190826, includes the B8 dampers part no. 35-238744, which have the little mounting wings to pass the ABS cable through (photos from Bilstein below). No need for cable ties!

46-190833 is also the kit sold by n2o in the links above, so I will be placing my order as soon as I post this :)

Lupo GTI B8 VA.PNG

Capture.PNG

P1160882Custom - Copy.jpg

Good to know it's sorted, I was going to suggest a set of KW coilovers if you couldn't make your mind up!

PS. Will be going to Münich with some friends for the Frühlingfest in a couple of months, any tips for foreigners? :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

allright I fitted the B12 kit on saturday. I have to say I can feel some improvement given that top mounts and other bushes were also changed, but it's quite a bit harder than I was expecting and bodyroll stays the same (Whiteline rear ARB is on the way though). I have the same kit on my Arosa since like 2005 but I attributed its harshness to just being old. I hope I'll get used to it!

the biggest disappointment though is that the rear now sits way higher than the front. my previous setup (stock dampers and lowering springs) had a much better balance, even though the rear was still a bit higher. I was expectig to keep the exact same look... I'll try to post before and after pics. I heard this was a thing for the B12 and my Arosa was also sitting on a wedge, but on the Lupo now it's more obvious.

I'm even considering swapping the new rear springs with the old ones (which for the life of me I can't figure out what brand they are), and hope it looks better and doesn't destroy the handling balance.

any other ideas how to lower just the rear? are there "lowering cups" for the rear?

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 8:04 PM, Blue Loop said:

PS. Will be going to Münich with some friends for the Frühlingfest in a couple of months, any tips for foreigners? :lol:

hmm make sure you have a cozy place to stay, Frühlingsfest weather won't be so kind on street sleepers as in Oktoberfest :D And don't miss the BMW Welt and BMW Museum!

allright here's a before/after pic. I actually just emailed this to Bilsten to see what they have to say about it. It just can't be right can it? I like the "before" look so much more. Really thinking of putting back the old springs in the rear, and if the ride is compromised, then put the old front ones too...

thanks for that idea Rich... not sure i have the skills for that though. I'd rather achieve it with just the right parts :) 

Suspension_Comparison.jpg

I don't think I'd get reverse rake in any case. Or do you believe the "before" pics already have reverse rake? as long as the rocker is parallel to the ground it's perfectly fine.

Edited by luiscamino

I have to agree it looked nicer before. The rear is too high now.

Personally I wouldn't mix and match two different kinds of springs on the same car, just get the old ones fitted again and it should return to the original look that you bought it with :)

1 hour ago, Blue Loop said:

I have to agree it looked nicer before. The rear is too high now.

Personally I wouldn't mix and match two different kinds of springs on the same car, just get the old ones fitted again and it should return to the original look that you bought it with :)

^ THIS is what I didn't know I wanted to hear :lol: you're completely right... my only worry is that I don't really know how old the old ones are. Any sings I can look for to know on what shape they are?

on a side note, anybody interested in some Eibach springs? :D

• 2 years later...