Power steering fluid

So when I turn a corner I hear strange noises now. Is it power steering fluid? And if so which is the best one to get? Is it like screenwash and have different flavours? Or is there just one type? 

I’m trying to do these things alone and not ask danno or rich for helps... but I have no clue ?

Well hello there again after ages! Word has it that you have one of Rich's old beauties....

I guess you've checked the level of the fluid- when yountake the cap off, there should be fluid on the little dipper thing sticking out of the cap, but the level isn't critical. But the colour is. It should be almost transparent light green. And a 'pleasant' almost fruity oil smell, without any burnt or unpleasant odour. And not dark or brown.

if there is a humming or whirring sound while driving, especially when on full lock, it could be the pump is on the way out. A screeching sound can be the belt slipping- but you'd feel the power steering assist dropping out and the steering becoming really heavy. Could be a slack belt or the pump on it's way out (unusual).

Word on the street is that Rich loves the red fluid and is suspicious of the green OE stuff :D

TBH one of the first jobs I do on any new VAG mobile I buy is to drop the old fluid via the low pressure hose on the pump and top up with green OE. Irrespective of VW's 'lifetime fill' nonsense it does thin down massively over time and IMO that's what leads to the leaking seals etc.

@mscherryviolet,check your level and top up if needed, if top up is needed then the next task is to work out where the old stuff went :rolleyes: