Engines that'll go in the 1.0 Lupo

Joe Alker

Ok, I already know what the first reply is going to be - don't bother just get a 1.4 or a GTi or something like that.

That's not happening. I intend to work on my car and use this a base for a project. It's intended to be a long term thing as well, the car is going SORN and into storage soon so it's not going to be driven for a while. Intention is to work on it for a few years and then when insurance comes down for me on modified vehicles (19 and living in Manchester is a PITA) it'll be back on the road. I'm picking up a 2010 Toyota Aygo Blue on Tuesday as I needed something more economical and reliable.

So, that's out of the way then - is there any engine that'll fit in a 2000 1.0 Lupo E with minimal (by engine swap standards anyway) faffing. Looking at something that'll leave me on a total of around 120hp at most, just enough so it's got a bit of punch on it. From what I've searched no engine will fit that bracket, so is it a case of all engines are going to be the same amount of work as long as they fit? Not doing the usual 1.8t swap before anyone asks.

Did consider the 1.4 16v from the Sport, while one from the Lupo might be difficult to find, according to Wikipedia it had appeared in a few car? 

74 kilowatts (101 PS; 99 bhp) @ 6,000 rpm; 126 newton metres (93 lbf⋅ft) @ 4,400 rpm — AFH, AFK, AUB, BBZ (discontinued)

Is this the specific one that I'd be looking for?

Was also considering the 1.0 TSi that appears in the up!, Polo and Golf among others, as they can be remapped to deliver good gains. Being a modern engine, I've no idea if it'd be more work to get going or not.

56 minutes ago, Joe Alker said:

Did consider the 1.4 16v from the Sport, while one from the Lupo might be difficult to find, according to Wikipedia it had appeared in a few car? 

Is this the specific one that I'd be looking for?

Was also considering the 1.0 TSi that appears in the up!, Polo and Golf among others, as they can be remapped to deliver good gains. Being a modern engine, I've no idea if it'd be more work to get going or not.

Engine mounts would probably be your biggest issue there, not going to be a simple swap. 

37 minutes ago, Rich said:

arse to fit.

arse to wire in.

arse for everything to fit a poxy 1.0.

buy a rusty polo gti and sell the parts off keeping what you need.

Anything from the 6N / 6N2 / 6X era should just be a simple change. Yes the wiring is a bit of a pain maybe, but the rest is easy! :)

just put the polo gti in, if the wiring is a worry then just post the one litre loom and the polo front loom to me, wait a month whilst you do the rest and then plug and play.

if paid more I will provide answers to all questions via WhatsApp.

0891 rich chat.

So the logical thing to do would be the AVY engine from the Lupo and Polo GTi? Had a look on eBay and prices don't seem to be too bad.

The illogical thing is to turbo the 1.0, because the Gol in South America did that and somehow got 112hp? Is that the same engine, and how reliable were these?