FFR Gearbox

Leww_52

Hi, 

I am looking for an FFR gearbox for my 1.4s Lupo. I am finding it very hard to source one. 7

The issue with my box is that it has recon box in when i bought it. when i change into 5th gear, it is the exact same as 4th gear. therefore, it stays at the same RPM and screaming its nuts off.  

any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Lewis s

You sure the adjustment on the selector isn't out? Could be you are actually selecting 4th when it shows as 5th if its out of alignment.....

1 hour ago, lupogtiboy said:

You sure the adjustment on the selector isn't out? Could be you are actually selecting 4th when it shows as 5th if its out of alignment.....

is this a common problem?

51 minutes ago, Leww_52 said:

is this a common problem?

Wouldn't say it's common; but it can happen when you change the box. If the RPM stays the exact same it certainly indicates the selector. 

How's your reverse? 

2 hours ago, cj1 said:

Wouldn't say it's common; but it can happen when you change the box. If the RPM stays the exact same it certainly indicates the selector. 

How's your reverse? 

the reverse seems fine! its hard to get sometimes but i thought nothing of it... im getting a terrible whine at the moment too, so i think the bearings are going also!

Assuming its a cable linkage:

Diesel Geek  - How to adjust VW MK4, MK5, and MK6 5 speed shifter adjustment for 02J and MQ250 transmissions

5mm drill bit was too big for my gti selector, it was 4 or 4.5mm that worked.

make sure you remember to undo the locking pin on the gearbox before trying your adjusted linkage.

Edited by LR5V

12 hours ago, Leww_52 said:

Can I remove my FFR gearbox and then refit it with a different code? As from my understand the FFR gearbox are very hard to get hold off...? 

Sure. Replace it with any 085 box. 

http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswagen/polo-mk3/power_transmission/5-speed_manual_gearbox_085/technical_data/gearbox_identification/code_letters_gearbox_allocation_ratios_capacities/

http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswagen/polo-mk3/power_transmission/5-speed_manual_gearbox_085/technical_data/gearbox_identification/code_letters_gearbox_allocation_ratios_capacities_2/

Find one you like the look of! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cj1 said:

Are the polo boxes the same as the lupo? Thanks! what code would you recommend? i do not mind about what ratios etc, i just want a straight swap so i can use 5th gear again lol. also what gearbox codes go under the 085 spec?

Edited by Leww_52

085 is a gearbox type for a lot of VW's

Lupos, 6N Polos (tho earlier type 80 Polos also used them)

The differences between most of them is gear and final drive ratios, so potentially if you were to get one meant for a 1Litre Lupo when yours is a 1.4, it may end-up revving higher or lower in top gear, but it will physically fit your car.

1 hour ago, lupogtiboy said:

085 is a gearbox type for a lot of VW's

Lupos, 6N Polos (tho earlier type 80 Polos also used them)

The differences between most of them is gear and final drive ratios, so potentially if you were to get one meant for a 1Litre Lupo when yours is a 1.4, it may end-up revving higher or lower in top gear, but it will physically fit your car.

So theoretically, I could stick any gearbox code in my lupo? All that's different is the ratios?

6 hours ago, cj1 said:

Sure. Replace it with any 085 box. 

2 hours ago, lupogtiboy said:

it will physically fit your car.

57 minutes ago, Leww_52 said:

So theoretically, I could stick any gearbox code in my lupo? All that's different is the ratios?

Yep