Vw UP Gti News

lupo1.0se

I looked at a white one yesterday in my local dealership. It had a black roof and mirror caps and really looked good. I was also impressed with the interior which I think has some real quality touches in line with the Polo GTI. Unfortunately it wasn't available to drive as they have already taken a deposit on it. 

17 hours ago, cj1 said:

I also had the chance to drive one at the weekend just gone. Fun little car! I would have liked a little more power but it was engaging and fun to drive. Good MPG even when driving harder too! 

the turbo from 1.4 is bolt on and you get 160 ps...

17 hours ago, cj1 said:

I also had the chance to drive one at the weekend just gone. Fun little car! I would have liked a little more power but it was engaging and fun to drive. Good MPG even when driving harder too! 

the turbo from 1.4 is bolt on and you get 160 ps...

Ok. Just because it is not easily viewable

Sunroof - the only option I consider worth going for

Beats audio pack - not for me this one. If it was bose then yes. But otherwise nope

Climate control - not for me personally. Normal heaters are ok anyway

Rear view camera - seems a little pointless considering the back is flat.

Rear parking sensors/cruise control - was not aware this was an option. 

City emergency brakes - avoid. This us because the radar can cost quite a lot to calibrate if it needs repair. As part of this pack the passenger airbag is disabled

my opinion on the prices from germany..only country with open orders until now.

i still wait for availability in my country...

Sunroof...its 905 euros in Germany. thats a lot for a 15 0000 euro car.

Climate control ...it can be done without, but it looks very cheap , and its 2018 ... and only 335 euros. cant see the interior without... 

i have it on a 2002 lupo...

City emergency brakes...it comes with rain and lights sensors and cruise control...a little must on a small engine on the highway :)

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Interesting to see that VW have reintroduced the Up Gti - https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/volkswagen-gti-relaunched-uk-2020

I only own - and delight in - my Lupo Gti, because I initially wanted an Up Gti when first announced, but couldn't even get a demo in my local area. Happily I then discovered that the Lupo is, dynamically at least, a much better car!

I think at the time we knew that a considerable factor in the initial clamour for the model was that VW had got the pricing wrong - it was apparently, too much of a bargain. Well, they've addressed that now, since a typical asking price is into the £16Ks. And though it remains quite a distinctive, charismatic package, that's really too much, given the relatively modest performance and the fact that the engine, by size, number of cylinders and turbocharging, is not so characterful.

54 minutes ago, davy26 said:

Interesting to see that VW have reintroduced the Up Gti - https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/volkswagen-gti-relaunched-uk-2020

I only own - and delight in - my Lupo Gti, because I initially wanted an Up Gti when first announced, but couldn't even get a demo in my local area. Happily I then discovered that the Lupo is, dynamically at least, a much better car!

I think at the time we knew that a considerable factor in the initial clamour for the model was that VW had got the pricing wrong - it was apparently, too much of a bargain. Well, they've addressed that now, since a typical asking price is into the £16Ks. And though it remains quite a distinctive, charismatic package, that's really too much, given the relatively modest performance and the fact that the engine, by size, number of cylinders and turbocharging, is not so characterful.

Surprised you could not get a demo as Canterbury had one and i was the first to demo it!

A few things that i found it

Now fitted with PAX tyre (run flats....)

Curtain airbags are standard

Options reduced-  no beats or sunroof from what i can tell

It doesn't have run flat tyres, no VW runs run flat tyres, they do use Seal inside tyres on some models, but not on the up, would make it too heavy!

You also said in an earlier post that the City Emergency Breaking system means the passenger airbag is deactivated, that's wrong, it has a key-operated switch that you can turn the airbag on or off, not permanently off as suggested.

I have a 2019 Up GTI in Tornado Red with a black roof, Beats sound system, cruise and park pack, reverse camera and climate, all worthwhile additions to what is already a fun little car. It also has quite a few tweaks available to increase performance, I'm hoping to remap mine soon to around 145bhp and add an induction kit, so may see 150 on a good day with the right outside temperature!

On 1/13/2020 at 12:02 PM, lupogtiboy said:

It doesn't have run flat tyres, no VW runs run flat tyres, they do use Seal inside tyres on some models, but not on the up, would make it too heavy!

You also said in an earlier post that the City Emergency Breaking system means the passenger airbag is deactivated, that's wrong, it has a key-operated switch that you can turn the airbag on or off, not permanently off as suggested.

I have a 2019 Up GTI in Tornado Red with a black roof, Beats sound system, cruise and park pack, reverse camera and climate, all worthwhile additions to what is already a fun little car. It also has quite a few tweaks available to increase performance, I'm hoping to remap mine soon to around 145bhp and add an induction kit, so may see 150 on a good day with the right outside temperature!

This is where it says about the PAX system.

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new/up/which-model-compare/details/30101-gti?fbclid=IwAR3t9gyTBM9ng20GkFaLc8goHjXsmh1dBUpqZqZLbeXgk5CaJEKFBEnQ8Pk#standard-equipment

235/700R 450? Is that a tyre for a cruise ship?

VW do not use PAX tyres, Audi dabbled with them for a few years but don't use them anymore. The closest VW come to PAX is the Contiseal, Hankook Seal or Pirelli Seal inside tyres on Passat, Sharan and Scirocco. The Up GTI is fitted with 195/40 R17 81V Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance tyres, a lot of owners on the Up Owners Club don't like them, I've never had an issue personally.

• 1 month later...

So I purchased an Up GTi before XMas. I've not been massively impressed with it, but it's great for the daily hack, cheap to run, small and more than pokey enough for todays roads.

I am planning to fit some KW's and drop the wheels down to 16's (17's look fantastic, but they're too big). I reckon dropping a size, less weight and a bit more tyre wall (plus better tyres) will massively improve things. I want JBS's switchable traction control, but don't really want a remap....so I'll have to see about that.

file.php?id=367

Two of my "must haves" were Tungsten and Climate Control (I think it tidies up and modernises the dash massively) plus 5 door, only because they're easier to sell.

No Lupo in storage, no, not owned one for a while now. My last attempt many years ago was when I bought a 1.4 Lupo with a bottom knocking end and tried to drop a 1.6 from a GTi into it, because Andi (Tigz on here) and someone else told me it was a straight swap. Turns out the loom is completely different and it's a massive job 🙃

I was looking to buy another LupoGTi as a daily, but ended up with the Up instead due to Volkswizard's praise (who I actually ended up buying mine from).