Automatic race car......power mods?

ArosaCal

Hi All, 

I have a 1.4 automatic lupo which I currently autotest (before you say scrap it and get a manual, im a disabled driver so limited to an auto box) see here -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOhYe2T19KI&t=106s

Now as my username says, ive previously owned an arosa, and through handbrake turns and constant abuse through my racing, i managed to kill the gearbox in around 8 events. I then moved onto the lupo, and the box seems stronger on this than the arosa (THANK GOD) one issue I have with my lupo is that it lacks power, 75bhp through a torque convertor (i assume it goes through a convertor, never looked into it) soon removes most of the power, so im wanting to take it to around the 100-110bhp region, with things such as a GTI intake and throttle body and an exhaust etc (read on another thread that with a good bit of work and a good map, its possible) the big question is though, will the auto box handle this power or will it just go pop? 

Also, if youre around the birmingham/derbyshire/midlandy area, and fancy a go at autotesting, let me know, im heavily involved with it all and am more than happy to give guidance on starting out 

Thanks 

Cal 

• 10 months later...

Holy thread resurrection time.... Any info and specs on the Lupo automatic box? is it the same as polo 6n2 auto box? I've been thinking of sticking something like a polo GTI engine on one too, but wonder what power it could cope with. Probably need a better oil cooler on it.

Edited by Sausage

It is possible with most modern vdub (renault) auto boxes to make them power shift. But you need to dump the original gearbox ecu. In one of my Mk2's i fitted a 096 box with a home made shifter. The beauty is that all shifts can be controlled by solenoids. So electronic... the modulator adjusts the smoothness of the shift, which is controlled by a PWM signal. Ok, so power shifting like with a dsg will kill the clutches but it's fab fun.