Strange stereo problem

In my new GTI the stereo only seem's to work after I've been driving the car for a while, it won't switch on or show any signs of life, then all of a sudden it bursts into life when i'm driving along. It's definitely not the stereo because it does the exact same with two different ones i've tried...Things I maybe think it is (shot's in the dark to be honest) bad earth/wire damage perhaps or battery not strong enough? Noticed theres some greenish gunk around the battery connections aswell, dunno if that's significant? The car had barely been used before I got it so could it maybe be the alternator? It's very odd, once it does finally come on it works totally fine

Once the car is running the alternator should power all the accessories. 

Test the voltage coming from the alternator. Test the voltage coming from the battery too.

If the battery has enough ooomph to crank the engine it should have enough to fire up the stereo, I’d say it’s more of a wiring/connection fault, down the road it jumps around and sparks up the radio.

2 hours ago, Pete said:

If the battery has enough ooomph to crank the engine it should have enough to fire up the stereo, I’d say it’s more of a wiring/connection fault, down the road it jumps around and sparks up the radio.

Rather than down the road though it takes about an hour of driving roughly to come on, not really relative to any sudden bumps in the road or anything like that. It's very odd.

Edit: This has just popped in my head actually, the stereo hasn't forgotten any settings or anything when it comes on, which would suggest it is constantly getting power?

Edited by Skajme

9 hours ago, Skajme said:

Rather than down the road though it takes about an hour of driving roughly to come on, not really relative to any sudden bumps in the road or anything like that. It's very odd.

Edit: This has just popped in my head actually, the stereo hasn't forgotten any settings or anything when it comes on, which would suggest it is constantly getting power?

Certainly would. 

What if the car is just on igniton on? Does the stereo work then? 

Time for the multimeter if you ask me. Get tracing those wires.

First thing I would do, is try and earth it. Take an earth from the stereo to a totally independent earth. Recently had a similar issue in this banger Mazda I own. Solved by finding a new earth and running an independent line from the back of the radio.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

No I still haven't got it sorted. It actually works perfectly fine and comes on instantly when its warm and sunny, so it's cold weather/damp that's stopping it working which is what I have been thinking it probably was. Anyone know what could cause this? Bad earth connection maybe? I know this was earlier mentioned, I know nothing and I'm useless with wiring though. Anyone know where the stereo is earthed so I can try and look for problems? Wouldn't know where to start with earthing it independently to be honest though .

The interior light coming on when you remove the key doesn't work/works exactly in tandem with this problem aswell. But it works when I open the door or switch it on manually regardless of temperature. Don't know if this is significant?

10 minutes ago, LR5V said:

only done one on a mk3 golf, that was a bit of a faf, not fully familiar with the lupo arrangement, but it looks similar.

I was suffering some wierd eletrical problems, replacement switch fixed it - the reward was worth the faf

check this you tube vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOoraqzN7Hs

Actually just watched that, ha! Done a bit of googling and looking on here and it does seem like it could be the problem. From what I've seen you have to drill the lock housing to get the ignition switch out, then replace the housing. Could prove costly!

Edited by Skajme

On the mk3 golf the switch is held in place by a screw within the steering column outer tube - this is only accessible after steering shaft has been removed and then with a jewellers screwdriver though an opening in oposite side of the outer tube. options for doing this on the golf were whole column out or disconnect the  UJ at the pedals and pull wheel and shaft out of column outer tube -cant say if lupo is same

-VW do tend to be lazy with their designs, they may well have left that opening for the screwdriver, therefore no need to get a new lock

33 minutes ago, LR5V said:

On the mk3 golf the switch is held in place by a screw within the steering column outer tube - this is only accessible after steering shaft has been removed and then with a jewellers screwdriver though an opening in oposite side of the outer tube. options for doing this on the golf were whole column out or disconnect the  UJ at the pedals and pull wheel and shaft out of column outer tube -cant say if lupo is same

-VW do tend to be lazy with their designs, they may well have left that opening for the screwdriver, therefore no need to get a new lock

I see what you mean with the screw for the switch now actually. its behind where you put the key in and not the part that needs drilling. Doesn't look too difficult in that case! The only difficult part i can imagine is getting the collar off the steering column. I've removed the steering wheel and indicators before so that parts straightforward enough!

Did you actually check the voltage on the battery and alternators? Some of the electrical gremlins you're having I have seen on other cars with failing batteries/alternators.....

1 minute ago, Skezza said:

Did you actually check the voltage on the battery and alternators? Some of the electrical gremlins you're having I have seen on other cars with failing batteries/alternators.....

I did yeah, they were both fine! Has a brand new battery in now aswell. 

16 minutes ago, Skajme said:

I did yeah, they were both fine! Has a brand new battery in now aswell. 

OK, keep doing what you're doing then ;) 

• 1 year later...

I never actually got around to trying to fix this as changing the ignition switch looks a hassle, it isn't effecting day to day driving and it's never gotten any worse. Plus in the summer months it works a lot more consistently. I'm just kinda thinking I should sort it to check it off the list more than anything.

A new aspect of it that I have only recently noticed though is that sometimes if i press a window switch or spray the screen wash, the stereo will power down, turn off then immediately come back on. Battery and alternator voltages are still where they should be so would this still point to ignition switch? I do have a spare one lying around somewhere!

On 7/14/2019 at 1:29 AM, Skajme said:

I never actually got around to trying to fix this as changing the ignition switch looks a hassle, it isn't effecting day to day driving and it's never gotten any worse. Plus in the summer months it works a lot more consistently. I'm just kinda thinking I should sort it to check it off the list more than anything.

A new aspect of it that I have only recently noticed though is that sometimes if i press a window switch or spray the screen wash, the stereo will power down, turn off then immediately come back on. Battery and alternator voltages are still where they should be so would this still point to ignition switch? I do have a spare one lying around somewhere!

How often does it do this? It points to a voltage sag. Do both window switches do it? What about headlights? Being a GTi somewhat clouds the game a little because the ballasts will provide some capacitance ( @mattarosa? Am I right?) and as such a dip in brightness might not be seen. Brake or tail lights might be a good one if someone is stood behind you.

I am still not convinced by your alternator.... or the earth. You said the battery has been swapped out so I'm assuming this is good. How sure are you of the voltages you're measuring? How did you go about taking the measurements?

I'm also not convinced you haven't got a ropey earth somewhere.

On 7/15/2019 at 11:51 AM, Skezza said:

How often does it do this? It points to a voltage sag. Do both window switches do it? What about headlights? Being a GTi somewhat clouds the game a little because the ballasts will provide some capacitance ( @mattarosa? Am I right?) and as such a dip in brightness might not be seen. Brake or tail lights might be a good one if someone is stood behind you.

I am still not convinced by your alternator.... or the earth. You said the battery has been swapped out so I'm assuming this is good. How sure are you of the voltages you're measuring? How did you go about taking the measurements?

I'm also not convinced you haven't got a ropey earth somewhere.

It's really all over the place, it's very hard to notice any kind of pattern other than the temperature outside. Like today, stereo worked perfectly fine, windows opening and closed, stayed on without an issue, I'll get in it tonight when its cooler and it probably won't come on at all. I have thought at times that maybe the headlights weren't as bright as my black GTI but put that down to just being in my head!

I checked the alternator at the battery with a multimeter while the car was running with everything I could turn on, on. And it was in the 14 volts area. I forget the exact number, but I know it was as it should be. Whereabouts are the earth points? They're probably worth having a look at next?

• 4 months later...