Throttle response

Hey guys. On my gti I'm having what seems to be poor throttle response. Whilst revving in neutral, the revs (once off the accelerater) drop very slowly back to idle. Any ideas what may cause this? Was thinking I'd clean out the throttle body as it looks a little grubby. Maybe fit an updated panel filter? Any suggestions? 

If I remove the throttle body, will I need to reprogram it? What type of gasket sat between the engine and throttle body (paper/rubber)?

Thanks 

30 minutes ago, Sausage said:

Has it always done it or is this a new thing? Same hot or cold?

I've recently bought the gti but only just noticed it. It's the same whether it's hot or cold. Just seems slow at retuning to idle. Much slower than any other car I've owned, and especially as the gti is supposedly responsive I imagine something is wrong. I've changed the coil and leads recently but doubt that's caused anything 

If it drives all right and it isnt bad enough to make gear changes annoying then I wouldnt worry about it. My TDI does it but drives absolutely fine. Heavy flywheel is right up there as the suspect. 

Make a vid and link to it if you like though...

Edited by Sausage

17 hours ago, Sausage said:

If it drives all right and it isnt bad enough to make gear changes annoying then I wouldnt worry about it. My TDI does it but drives absolutely fine. Heavy flywheel is right up there as the suspect. 

Make a vid and link to it if you like though...

Im probably going to clean out the throttle body anyway because it looks oily. What kind of gasket is between the tb and engine ie paper or rubber. Will I need to reprogram the tb once unplugged? 

consider the aspect that the potentiometer could be playing up.

read the measuring blocks on vagcom.

find a local mk4 idiot who will do it for the craic if you don't fancy investing.

8 hours ago, Mr.Badbrains said:

The tb is oily because the crankcase ventilation is routed in the filter housing above it. It is good to clean every once in a while tho. 

I did find there was oil on the air filter. I was aware the crank case vent went back into the aire filter but didn't realise it would gunk the tb that bad.

Anyway, I've decided to fit a catch tank (hopefully stop the oil) and an upgraded panel filter, probably a k&n. Clean up the tb and get the throttle position checked. Hopefully it'll improve. 

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Mr.Badbrains said:

Has anyone tried to eliminate the throttle pedal latency with vcds? I think it might be possible.

What do you mean? The ECU is sampling the TPS many times a second, so it knows exactly what's going on. If you're talking about the throttle valve opening delay, that is part of the emissions control program. In days of old, carburettors used to squirt a neat jet of petrol in to the mix to quench the mix. Nowadays, the ECU allows the revs to build up as it gradually opens the throttle, keeping a reasonably high plenum vacuum until full demand is met. Ok, so it all happens in about 1/2 a second....

17 minutes ago, mk2 said:

What do you mean? The ECU is sampling the TPS many times a second, so it knows exactly what's going on. If you're talking about the throttle valve opening delay, that is part of the emissions control program. In days of old, carburettors used to squirt a neat jet of petrol in to the mix to quench the mix. Nowadays, the ECU allows the revs to build up as it gradually opens the throttle, keeping a reasonably high plenum vacuum until full demand is met. Ok, so it all happens in about 1/2 a second....

I don't know, but there seems to be a delay between when you push the gas pedal and the throttle valve operates.