1.7sdi turbo?

AlexHardy91

Just pondering about a 1.7adi lupo. I'm going to look at one today. Would the manifold and turbo from my spare ahu engine go onto the sdi? Would it take much to get it running right? I'm thinking manual boost control valve, bigger injectors, oil feed and return and a clutch upgrade? Anything else?

Edited by AlexHardy91

11 minutes ago, Rich said:

go for it!

28 minutes ago, Sausage said:

I'd like to see this done, not sure how much the ecu does on the SDI, if it is reading maf and map and IQ then you will need a remap.

Also intercooler.

Could just drop the full ahu in there I suppose like. Won't be for a while yet like. I still need to finish my mk3 wagon 

TDi forums about 1.9 sdi:

Originally Posted by turbo johan View Post
I've done quite some of this kind conversions.
Easiest is to put on a GT15 wg turbo from a AHU/AGR and put wg on about 0.6/0.8 bar boost.
Run no ic and put in some new sw.
Power goes from 68 to 100/105 hp on stock injectors.
You don't need boost regulation or a MAF an MAP sensor.
Works good.
If you want more than that you need different gearbox and flywheel/clutch!
I've done a few sdi/tdi gearbox conversions works quite good but need some parts; axles, fw/clutch, box, shifting cable, conversion to hydro clutch pedal or use T4 clutch cable. (but clutch pedal won't fit cable easy).

My girlfriend drives a sdi polo who drove the 105 hp easy conversion for about 40K km's.
Than we did VNT17, R520, 11mm, longest 5 speed gearbox, stronger clutch with smf, 2,5" exhaust, 3 bar MAP and custom tune.
It runs on 190 hp and 450 Nm now.
It's quite a quick little car biggrin.gif
It ran 14.5 sec 1/4 mile @ 155 km/h (with 175 hp w/o 11mm pump)
I just wired up the N75 and MAP sensor into stock ECU works fine.

Johan

cant find any 1.7 conversion though or Lupo so far.

Edited by Sausage

• 1 year later...

Did this get done? i am about to start this on our lupo 1.7 sdi and looking at doubling power. Know the box is the weak link but worst case it will get a stronger one 😁

IMG_0821.jpeg

Edited by battlebus

Dunno if you noticed, but on the back of the block is marked 1.9... Our little 1.7 AKU SDI is in fact a 1.9 ready to go- just on a short throw crank. Pull engine out and directly transplant the 1.9 ASV turbo in. It fits like it's made for it. Afternoon job when properly planned. Then just the wiring and you're away... You can chip the ASV to 133hp.

yes the box is weak, but if rebuilt for £100 every 30k, not a problem. CV joints will also go sooner, but they're only £35 a pair.

I've been mulling over the exact same project. Time is lacking sadly.

11 hours ago, mk2 said:

Dunno if you noticed, but on the back of the block is marked 1.9... Our little 1.7 AKU SDI is in fact a 1.9 ready to go- just on a short throw crank. Pull engine out and directly transplant the 1.9 ASV turbo in. It fits like it's made for it. Afternoon job when properly planned. Then just the wiring and you're away... You can chip the ASV to 133hp.

yes the box is weak, but if rebuilt for £100 every 30k, not a problem. CV joints will also go sooner, but they're only £35 a pair.

I've been mulling over the exact same project. Time is lacking sadly.

Thats the route planned. i won't be killing it anyway and just done the cv joints. Whats needed on the rebuild that's only 100? might be worth doing now anyway. Off to search for a crank now too 

Edited by battlebus

3 hours ago, mk2 said:

Be cheaper to swap the entire engine after bearings and headgasket etc...

Yeah, will do the turbo first and see what happens. Supposed to be a budget build 😁

• 1 month later...

Ok we have got the sdi turbo install done . 

We used Modified Volvo V70 inlet, Passat GT1749V turbo reclocked and an AFN exhaust manifold

Added a Passat Side mount intercooler and swapped eco and injectors and we are making boost. 

Slight hitch is the clutch is pretty sad and we have found its limit so anyone any experience of uprated 190mm clutch kits? 

• Like 1