lost key

weslangdon

We've managed to lose the only key to one of our two Arosa TDI's, the RAC have been as much use as a chocolate soldier and my main dealer 3 miles away says it will take up to two weeks to replace the key. Are there any other options for a faster replacement...desperate as they car is parked where it shouldn't be and risks being towed 

Where the World HQ is? I bet a Mercedes key takes the same amount of time, or a Ford key, or any other manufacturer you can name. Mazda parts all take 2 days from Belgium, regardless of when you order it.

Car is in a safe place, car park owner aware of the issue and not foaming at the mouth so just a matter of coping with the delay. Problem caused by the remote control key breaking in half and the metal bit that goes in the lock being lost, the button bit has a code on it and I have spare keys that could be re-coded but without the correct pattern for door and steering lock little point

To ask if there are quicker options/alternative suppliers to the poor service from the main dealer and I suppose highlight the length of time involved for those who just have one key. I was shocked to be told 7-10 days and I think its a disgrace, the options suggested whilst possible are not for me as I don't want to break windows nor change the steering lock.:P 

Edited by weslangdon
more

Its a security part that is made in Germany. There is no faster way to get a VW key from a main dealer. I would quote the same amount of time had you ordered it from me. Its just how long it takes, it's not the dealer being awkward, once a key is ordered we have no control over the time frame. In most cases they come within 5 working days. Just be thankful you don't need a barrel for a Fox, they take 3-4 weeks to arrive.

It does annoy me when people sound off about 'poor dealer service' when its for something they have no control over. And lets not forget who lost the key in the first place.

1 hour ago, lupogtiboy said:

Its a security part that is made in Germany. There is no faster way to get a VW key from a main dealer. I would quote the same amount of time had you ordered it from me. Its just how long it takes, it's not the dealer being awkward, once a key is ordered we have no control over the time frame. In most cases they come within 5 working days. Just be thankful you don't need a barrel for a Fox, they take 3-4 weeks to arrive.

It does annoy me when people sound off about 'poor dealer service' when its for something they have no control over. And lets not forget who lost the key in the first place.

Well said lupogtiboy... all replacement VAG keys regardless of brand are produced - to order - in their German security centre. Two weeks is perfectly acceptable.

Edited by NornIron

19 hours ago, lupogtiboy said:

It is poor dealer service, can you imagine VW tolerating such delays from their "just in time" suppliers, and if you read the thread I point out that the key broke in half. Two weeks is not acceptable, its arrogance, contempt for the customer

The fax machine buzzes and off comes the piece of paper. "Customer X has lost their one and only key to vehicle 6XZZZ ..... , request priority key made". They quickly scurries off to the front of the parts production line and say "HALT! This key must be made now!!" , the sound of sirens alerts all of the employees as the production lines grind to a halt. They telephone the archive department who then fax back a schematic for the key in question, it's rushed through and stuck in a jiffy bag and immediately passed to a man waiting outside on a motorbike, who speeds to the airport to get it onto the next plane out of wolfsburg..

Unfortunately if you only have one key (As do I for one of my lupo's) it's generally accepted that you're running at risk, particularly with a part that's been in use for a good amount of years. Preventative maintenance would always suggest ensuring you have a spare.

I'm with @lupogtiboy , it's not the dealers fault that your key broke and they're constrained to what the factory can do. There's millions of parts being produced, it's never going to be a few days. You'll never satisfy everyone.  If they do sometimes arrive in less than 5 working days then I'd say that's not too bad, I mean you wait longer than that for a GTI ball joint! :lol::lol:

PS - Don't take it personally. I hope someone stumbles across this in a similar situation. and FWIW my only key is bent, so maybe I should order a spare too! :P

Edited by cj1

1 hour ago, cj1 said:

@lupogtiboy

PS - Don't take it personally. I hope someone stumbles across this in a similar situation.

I'm in that situation, however I took the proactive decision when I bought a Lupo with only one key to order a spare! Now that one has been broken, I have no issue with waiting two weeks for the replacement...

2 hours ago, cj1 said:

The fax machine buzzes and off comes the piece of paper. "Customer X has lost their one and only key to vehicle 6XZZZ ..... , request priority key made". They quickly scurries off to the front of the parts production line and say "HALT! This key must be made now!!" , the sound of sirens alerts all of the employees as the production lines grind to a halt. They telephone the archive department who then fax back a schematic for the key in question, it's rushed through and stuck in a jiffy bag and immediately passed to a man waiting outside on a motorbike, who speeds to the airport to get it onto the next plane out of wolfsburg..

Unfortunately if you only have one key (As do I for one of my lupo's) it's generally accepted that you're running at risk, particularly with a part that's been in use for a good amount of years. Preventative maintenance would always suggest ensuring you have a spare.

I'm with @lupogtiboy , it's not the dealers fault that your key broke and they're constrained to what the factory can do. There's millions of parts being produced, it's never going to be a few days. You'll never satisfy everyone.  If they do sometimes arrive in less than 5 working days then I'd say that's not too bad, I mean you wait longer than that for a GTI ball joint! :lol::lol:

PS - Don't take it personally. I hope someone stumbles across this in a similar situation. and FWIW my only key is bent, so maybe I should order a spare too! :P

interesting little homily that tells us more about you but not about how processes work or should work, keep it up^_^

4 hours ago, NornIron said:

I'm in that situation, however I took the proactive decision when I bought a Lupo with only one key to order a spare! Now that one has been broken, I have no issue with waiting two weeks for the replacement...

:)