Opinions/Info required on value

Steve C

16 hours ago, Steve C said:

Dustbins are Galvo'd and they still rust too...and I know a 125Bhp 1600cc car is not fast, but in this context it's faster than a TDi, with or without a towhook...If you want fast, try my 500+Bhp Hayabusa Land Speed Racing bike, it's not fast it's scary lol

I've upset you, I am sorry. :PThe problem with the GTI is its lard, it's too heavy and has too little power, by this I don't mean bhp but torque. If you have a heavy car its torque that gets the shove on, and the TDI has more, if the TDI had been given a 6 speed gearbox we wouldn't be having this conversation at all. The lard issue was apparent in the Lupo GTI's contemporary the Golf 4 and it took a turbocharger to bring it up to scratch. 

• Like 1

i will agree on the torque, I have said this many times.

a rebore with more displacement would be the way to go, **** the forced induction.

2 hours ago, Rich said:

a rebore with more displacement would be the way to go, **** the forced induction.

That was the route taken by most GTI tuners of the 80's they got the 1.8 up to 2.1 with big valve heads to improve air flow, TSR used to be the place to go but they've reverted to air-cooled models

3 hours ago, Pete said:

3k?!? Is he high!?!

He reckoned there were a few available for around that price...probably is, but I'll wager they're not in as good condition and low mileage

3 hours ago, The Penguin said:

I've upset you, I am sorry. :PThe problem with the GTI is its lard, it's too heavy and has too little power, by this I don't mean bhp but torque. If you have a heavy car its torque that gets the shove on, and the TDI has more, if the TDI had been given a 6 speed gearbox we wouldn't be having this conversation at all. The lard issue was apparent in the Lupo GTI's contemporary the Golf 4 and it took a turbocharger to bring it up to scratch. 

Water off a ducks back...no need to be sorry, we all have opinions and it's always good to hear others...I had a TDI Golf (all red letters in TDI) for a while 10 years or so ago and it was really fast off the line!

5 hours ago, Steve C said:

I've seen a brochure with a head-on photo of our car on a track with the L2 UPO plate and have been looking for it on ebay etc for ages, the service booklet has the same reg no tippexed out and OE02xxx overwritten and the previous owner was Volkswagen, Oxford...by your photo of the black one, it does look like they swapped and changed the plates about (it's great to find more about the history of the car, thanks).

I'm not up to speed with what was standard or not, so am unsure of options fitted...but here's a list of whats fitted...

Elec Sunroof, windows and mirrors/Heated leather seats/Aircon/CD radio/split-zone alarm/Xenon headlights with wash/colour-coded handles & mirrors/6sp gearbox...hope that helps!

Oh...and Mark wanted the car, but we couldn't agree a price (I even showed him this thread to show I wasn't on drugs lol)...he reckoned 3k was more realistic for such an old car, which is actually more than I thought it was worth before before posting on here...thanks for the input and opening my eyes ClubLupo!!

That's nearly every option ticked there. The was only four options in the UK. Which is sunroof, aircon, leather (includes heating I think but could be provided on cloth interior too) and side airbags (rare to see/ if fitted as standard then would have the lupo 5 star ncap rated. Too think four years before that the metro scored 1 star)

2 hours ago, Rich said:

the 1.6 is a longer stroke version of the 1.4 (1390 engine) so a rebore with bigger pistons might be the way to go but I doubt it can be stroked further

On 7/28/2017 at 5:19 PM, Steve C said:

...and being a competent driver, my wife has never dinged it...

In my experience dings and scratches etc bare no correlation with the competency of the driver, more the competency (or lack of) of the drivers of every other car you come into contact with.

Given the spec that car is worth £4500 any day, even if it is the worst colour :P £3,000 is less than I paid for a 90k black with standard interior back in January and the market has not changed for the worse since then.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2017 at 2:59 PM, lupo1.0se said:

That's nearly every option ticked there. The was only four options in the UK. Which is sunroof, aircon, leather (includes heating I think but could be provided on cloth interior too) and side airbags (rare to see/ if fitted as standard then would have the lupo 5 star ncap rated. Too think four years before that the metro scored 1 star)

I've just looked closer and it has airbag written on the top side of each front seat, so it has side airbags too.

Bet you're glad you didn't sell it for 3k now! If I were you I'd stick it out the way somewhere, you'll kick yourself in a few years time otherwise, unless you bought a TDI of course.

• Like 1

This TDI/GTI banter is reminiscent of the Hayabusa/ZZR14 one, both have their good points but it depends on which you own lol...I'll have a talk with the missus and see where we go from here, it'll probably still have to go as my garage is full of two-wheeled toys, so no storage option and I don't want to see the exhaust, or worse, damaged on the track to the house...was hoping it'd go to a friend or family where we could keep an eye on it!

investment, better than cash in the bank.

the tdi/gti debate is retarded it shouldn't even be happening.

i have had both, i still have a gti.

• Like 1