Opinions/Info required on value

Steve C

Hi again, been a while since I lurked on here, but reckoned it would be the best place to get some info on the price we can expect for our Lupo GTI...

We've moved out to the sticks and need a more suitable car for the wife, so the decision has been made to sell her pride and joy and we have a friend who is interested in it.

It's the VW ex-press car from 2002 (originally L2 UPO) in silver with all that years optional extras fitted (heated leather, aircon, elec sunroof, 6sp, Xenons, etc), FSH, 47k miles, fresh mot with no advisories...not messed with or modified, apart from a set of 16" multi-spoke wheels and has a very small mark on one of the sills which you have to look close for, otherwise in immaculate 2 owner condition.

So, I call upon your accumulated wisdom to steer us in the right direction and make sure we don't get ripped off...thanks in advance!

Thanks for your reply Rich, much appreciated...sold the wheels on here a while ago as the tyres were expensive and hard to get as they were a one-off size! So, if we sell it to our friend for 4500, he's not getting ripped off and we're not loosing out by the sounds of it...

Edited by Steve C
missed words lol

It's for his daughter, so I don't think she'll be too bothered about being original, but I'll advise him it's worth more with the standard rims (although I seem to remember the orig Dunlop tyres were ITRO £125 trade each, that's why we swopped out the wheels!)

It's the path to our new house that means we have to sell it before it gets damaged lol (pot-holed slate)...He's coming over tomorrow and the asking price may make his eyes water, his daughter fancies a new shape Beetle too and looking on eBlag you can pick them up for below 1k, so maybe Dad will have the final say!

She only wants a Lupo GTI or Beetle "The Penguin"...I'm not sure a diesel that needs fettling would suit a young lady and her dad won't want to be stuck in the garage all weekend trying to sort it out when he could be out on his bike! Good luck with your sale though...you never know, if Mark says "no way, it's too expensive!" tomorrow, you could always buy my wife's with the proceeds from yours...you'll need a few more bids yet though

...all weekly items...made me chuckle...we had the choice of 2002 Beetle, Mini Cooper and the Lupo (all £7k) when the wife was looking for a car to replace her Mk1 Golf GTI Cabby and looking at the resale values now, I think we made the right choice!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve C said:

...all weekly items...made me chuckle...we had the choice of 2002 Beetle, Mini Cooper and the Lupo (all £7k) when the wife was looking for a car to replace her Mk1 Golf GTI Cabby and looking at the resale values now, I think we made the right choice!!

if you bought the beetle or a mk4 golf chassis based car then you wouldn't be chuckling 

15 hours ago, Steve C said:

She only wants a Lupo GTI or Beetle "The Penguin"...I'm not sure a diesel that needs fettling would suit a young lady and her dad won't want to be stuck in the garage all weekend trying to sort it out when he could be out on his bike! Good luck with your sale though...you never know, if Mark says "no way, it's too expensive!" tomorrow, you could always buy my wife's with the proceeds from yours...you'll need a few more bids yet though

It's not my sale, and it has nothing to do with me. I was suggesting something with all the key features of a GTI inc its wheels, its interior and in my opinion a better colour, the thing missing is the roof spoiler. It's for me a TDI v GTI thing and as I satiated myself on Golf GTI's Mk 1 and 2's long ago I can honestly say the TDI is a better long term option.:P

I disagree, the gti and tdi don't have very much in common at all, apart from the fact they are both lupos in name of course, the tdi has much more in common with standard lupos. And it doesn't get much more long term than the fact they've not been in production for over a decade now, put up a tdi and a gti of similar spec, condition and mileage and surely overall we'll see the gti is the better option as an investment. I'm not against tdis, I own a pd myself, but regarding the lupo models you either want the investment value, the looks, the kit, the instant poke, or you want the sensible/frugal offering that will munch miles on the cheap. For now that is.

• Like 1

If you want a TDi that will hold it's value better than other Lupos go for a 3L. And it's still not a better investment than a GTi.

The 1.4TDi is just a basic Lupo with an interesting engine, as could be a 100bhp Sport. The latter one at least adds rear discs and centre exit exhaust making it the most "special" if you wish out of the "normal" Lupos.

1 hour ago, Blue Loop said:

If you want a TDi that will hold it's value better than other Lupos go for a 3L. And it's still not a better investment than a GTi.

The 1.4TDi is just a basic Lupo with an interesting engine, as could be a 100bhp Sport. The latter one at least adds rear discs and centre exit exhaust making it the most "special" if you wish out of the "normal" Lupos.

Rear discs on Golf GTI's were always more a fashion statement than of practical use as they inevitably seized  after 3 years I don't know if its the same with the Lupo but I'd be more interested in fitting 280's to the front. The centre exhaust stops you fitting a tow bar. The GTI's aluminium parts are a novelty and a disadvantage as they are difficult to panel beat and pricy to replace, less is more^_^ sometimes

1 hour ago, The Penguin said:

Rear discs on Golf GTI's were always more a fashion statement than of practical use as they inevitably seized  after 3 years I don't know if its the same with the Lupo but I'd be more interested in fitting 280's to the front. The centre exhaust stops you fitting a tow bar. The GTI's aluminium parts are a novelty and a disadvantage as they are difficult to panel beat and pricy to replace, less is more^_^ sometimes

Rear brakes have been fine for the 12 years we've owned it...who the hell would want to tow anything in a Lupo GTI...and being a competent driver, my wife has never dinged it...however, the ally parts are showing no signs of rust unlike alot of other Lupos I see around...horses for courses I suppose, slow, steel, oil burner or fast, ally, screamer (I prefer my oil burners for work related stuff, Astravan, 280 Transit and 2x LWB Sprinters)...and Mark has just taken it out for a blast to Bala and back on his own, I'll talk money with him after he's put a big grin on his face!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Steve C said:

Rear brakes have been fine for the 12 years we've owned it...who the hell would want to tow anything in a Lupo GTI...and being a competent driver, my wife has never dinged it...however, the ally parts are showing no signs of rust unlike alot of other Lupos I see around...horses for courses I suppose, slow, steel, oil burner or fast, ally, screamer (I prefer my oil burners for work related stuff, Astravan, 280 Transit and 2x LWB Sprinters)...and Mark has just taken it out for a blast to Bala and back on his own, I'll talk money with him after he's put a big grin on his face!

Lupo's are galvanised; you are deluded if you think a Lupo GTI is fast car though, they are simply too heavy to compare with the GTI's of yesteryear 

Dustbins are Galvo'd and they still rust too...and I know a 125Bhp 1600cc car is not fast, but in this context it's faster than a TDi, with or without a towhook...If you want fast, try my 500+Bhp Hayabusa Land Speed Racing bike, it's not fast it's scary lol

Considering that it's ex vw then it must have a little more value. Then it will have a premium.

Here is a press pic of that plate. Although l5upo is probably the more well known gti wise. L3upo was the tdi used on top gear m25 petrol vs diesel challenge.

Also the plates where rotated around a bit. It's something that requires further research

http://www.wbwagen.com/a67e69f7b6958677-2000-volkswagen-lupo-gti-2002-2000-volkswagen-lupo-gti-2002.html

What options did it have?

Edited by lupo1.0se
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, lupo1.0se said:

Considering that it's ex vw then it must have a little more value. Then it will have a premium.

Here is a press pic of that plate. Although l5upo is probably the more well known gti wise. L3upo was the tdi used on top gear m25 petrol vs diesel challenge.

Also the plates where rotated around a bit. It's something that requires further research

http://www.wbwagen.com/a67e69f7b6958677-2000-volkswagen-lupo-gti-2002-2000-volkswagen-lupo-gti-2002.html

What options did it have?

I've seen a brochure with a head-on photo of our car on a track with the L2 UPO plate and have been looking for it on ebay etc for ages, the service booklet has the same reg no tippexed out and OE02xxx overwritten and the previous owner was Volkswagen, Oxford...by your photo of the black one, it does look like they swapped and changed the plates about (it's great to find more about the history of the car, thanks).

I'm not up to speed with what was standard or not, so am unsure of options fitted...but here's a list of whats fitted...

Elec Sunroof, windows and mirrors/Heated leather seats/Aircon/CD radio/split-zone alarm/Xenon headlights with wash/colour-coded handles & mirrors/6sp gearbox...hope that helps!

Oh...and Mark wanted the car, but we couldn't agree a price (I even showed him this thread to show I wasn't on drugs lol)...he reckoned 3k was more realistic for such an old car, which is actually more than I thought it was worth before before posting on here...thanks for the input and opening my eyes ClubLupo!!