SDI Air Filters... Is It Just Me...?

JoeyEunos

Aside from the annoying location (don't get me started on that <_<) does anyone else find that when opening the torx bolts/lid to the box the filter simply drops out?

Same with putting the new filter in...

It always seems to me that the 'neck' of the new air filter should fit around the housing/pipe that comes from above and be held in place snuggly, but no. I fit decent Mann branded filters every time and Im always slightly put out that I ave to hold the filter in with one hand whilst quickly shutting the housing underneath to hold it in place and stop it simply falling down.

Ive even considered putting a few layers of tape around the upper pipe to help the filter fit more 'snuggly' and stop it dropping off.... I can't help thinking to myself that if the filter neck is such a sloppy fit, is it actually drawing air through the filter rather, or just bypassing it altogether and taking air in through the baddly fitting 'neck' join. Infuriating -_-

Anyone else have this trouble? SDI Mafia @Skezza @Rich @Mobieus_uk @mk2 @lupo 1.7sdi, What do we think? Answers on a postcard ;)

Edited by JoeyEunos

3 hours ago, Rich said:

such an awkward place, does anyone else change it?

I know, right?

11 minutes ago, Skezza said:

I changed mine twice in 80k miles of ownership. Royal ball ache.

Certainly is.

I can't believe they would design it in such a way that the filter doesn't fit snug on the mounting tube, dropping down just when youve got it in place. Why volkswagen, why?

In the past Ive changed filter once a year on other cars, I think it's going to be an every other year job in the Lupo.

If you buy a filter from VW then it fits properly. I bought a MANN one for the TDI last time (MANN stuff normally is the same as oem VW), and had the same problem as you describe.

On 31/07/2017 at 11:26 AM, jon_273 said:

If you buy a filter from VW then it fits properly. I bought a MANN one for the TDI last time (MANN stuff normally is the same as oem VW), and had the same problem as you describe.

Thats helpful :)

Next time I will try OEM and see how I get on.

On 31/07/2017 at 11:26 AM, jon_273 said:

If you buy a filter from VW then it fits properly.

Seconded. Have a look on the Bay of e, as you regularly get dealers clearing old stock at good prices...

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...