Gearbox Speedo Problem (speedo drive gear)

Hi guys.

I have had an 2001 Arosa 1.4 16V sport since 2011 and the speedo has died, it was erratic for a time and then completely died.

I have checked the speedo drive gear which goes inside the gearbox and the spindle is rotating in an erratic fashion, it turns and stops for a second etc, if I put my finger on the exposed top I can stop it from rotating completely with a tiny bit of pressure, you can feel it bite sligtly and then slip. This was a recon gearbox back in early 2013. I have removed the drive gear, see attached for what it looks like (no damage that I can see) although there is very slight scoring on the end as you can see. I'm guessing the nylon gear on the final drive ring gear has worn away? How much of a ball ache is it to split the box on these and is it worth it? Thanks for any help. 

IMAG0637.jpg

IMAG0638.jpg

IMAG0396.jpg

Edited by StanMan

I would go for changing the speed sender first (or what ever it may be called), hopefully the gear in the box in metal meaning the nylon is sacrifical, in saying that I cant find the part anyware on the lists i use so maybe someone could help with the part number

3 minutes ago, Mobieus_uk said:

I would go for changing the speed sender first (or what ever it may be called), hopefully the gear in the box in metal meaning the nylon is sacrifical, in saying that I cant find the part anyware on the lists i use so maybe someone could help with the part number

That's the thing, I cant find a workshop/parts manual anywhere so I have no idea what material the gear (from which it takes the speed) is made of inside the gearbox.

Just got a new Speedo Pinion for £1.50 so hopefully that cures it; would honestly surprise me if the nylon gear inside the box has worn out. If not its going up for sale as spares/repair. The sensor on the top is working fine and gives a good signal.

Edited by StanMan

1 hour ago, Rich said:

you would sell a car because the speedo doesn't work?

No lol, it's up for MOT next month (which it will pass). I have just bought a 2006 Skoda Fabia VRS to replace the Arosa and have a Glanza V as the weekend/track toy so I need to get rid of the Arosa as it's just sitting on my driveway atm. ;)

Edited by StanMan