Jimi

New member here, hiiiiii.

Basically, I've been doing huge amounts of research and found the perfect set of wheels in terms of offset, look, width, etc., but they're Volvo, 5x108 jobbies. I've been told that it'd be impossible to get adaptors to make it happen from a 4x100. 

1 ) is that right? Should I let the dream die? 

2 ) could I not get the adapters made? Willing to pay a fair amount but obviously nothing ludicrous. Open to suggestions. 

3 ) is there any other way I can make them fit? 

Please help!

19 hours ago, Mobieus_uk said:

theres a reason they dont fit, its to stop people mixing and matching parts after a manufacture has spent millions in research for your safety, there must be plenty of options of wheels that do actually fit

That's very true. But by the same token, manufacturers have spent millions on developing their own brand parts, yet I'm sure you have no issue with using non-genuine parts from euro car parts & halfords.

There's a reason that adapters are created and are quite a lucrative business, to allow "people mixing and matching parts". What makes you say that an adapter isn't safe when hundreds use them without issue? 

OP - do you have google? http://www.ngpracing.com/newstore/42-draft-designs-4x100-to-5x108-pcd-adaptors.html 

Anything is possible if you throw money at it, but a set of adaptors will probably need to be a minimum of 20mm thick to be safe unless made of steel will cost £260 a set and make your chosen "perfect offset" wheels now stick out stupidly far unless you are factoring that in already.

If you cant find wheels in 4x100 then look at 5x100 and do VAG hub conversions instead of adaptors. I did look into 4x108 using audi bits but lost interest as was looking at running ford 13" wheels. But I'll stick with the Revolution RFX 7x14 in 4x100 that I already have that need refurb instead.

On 15/06/2017 at 2:15 PM, Sausage said:

Anything is possible if you throw money at it, but a set of adaptors will probably need to be a minimum of 20mm thick to be safe unless made of steel will cost £260 a set and make your chosen "perfect offset" wheels now stick out stupidly far unless you are factoring that in already.

If you cant find wheels in 4x100 then look at 5x100 and do VAG hub conversions instead of adaptors. I did look into 4x108 using audi bits but lost interest as was looking at running ford 13" wheels. But I'll stick with the Revolution RFX 7x14 in 4x100 that I already have that need refurb instead.

Running stock steels currently, new wheels are only 10mm wider, so there should be room for the 20mm extra. Pretty determined so will find a way around most problems.

Are there any hub conversions which would make life easier? I've considered Polo hubs but have doubts as to whether they'd fit; have heard that I'd need the entire rear beam?

On 15/06/2017 at 1:35 PM, cj1 said:

That's very true. But by the same token, manufacturers have spent millions on developing their own brand parts, yet I'm sure you have no issue with using non-genuine parts from euro car parts & halfords.

There's a reason that adapters are created and are quite a lucrative business, to allow "people mixing and matching parts". What makes you say that an adapter isn't safe when hundreds use them without issue? 

OP - do you have google? http://www.ngpracing.com/newstore/42-draft-designs-4x100-to-5x108-pcd-adaptors.html 

What's a google?

I have searched around a bit, but nowhere seems to have decent pics; even those show 5-to-5 holes. Would like to see it before I commit. Anyone got any?

On 6/18/2017 at 9:46 AM, Sausage said:

This guy in latvia will do them and a lot cheaper than UK ones: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/5-spacers?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

You want hub centric so avoid any cheap ones that arent.

I'll give him a try then, cheers! I've heard a few horror stories at work from people who say their (cheaper) adapters shattered when they took the wheel off - hope this isn't the case here?

• 3 weeks later...

Grease proof paper in between the adaptor and hub? Or a smear of grease.

i tried copper grease once as used to have sticky wheels (no adaptors) on a mondeo difficult to remove and thought it might help, it made it much worse, copper, alloy wheels and steel hubs didnt get on. So dont try copper grease.