Future of Club Lupo

lupo1.0se

After reading a thread elsewhere on the forum regarding the future of clublupo. I thought I would start this thread.

There are some points that needs to be raised

1. Availability of certain parts. Considering lupos are nearly 20 years old (the oldest ones). Certain parts are becoming difficult to get. Is something the Club should look into? Also what parts should we start looking into sourcing? I have asked the question with Vw heritage but they don't seem really interested in the Lupo, even though some parts have been obsolete for years (eg Aluminium bonnet Gti). I heard of stories where people who own gtis have waited over a year for a passenger side ball joint! Then again the Mk4 golf is slim pickings on there website.
  2. The future of the members cars. Are we going to see more OEM restorations and less modified cars? I am not sure at this present time.

If anyone wants to add more to this. Feel free.

I should be getting a pair of OEM gti ball joints from ex German dealer stock early next month.

if they're the right parts I will order me a couple more sets and then post up where.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rich said:

I should be getting a pair of OEM gti ball joints from ex German dealer stock early next month.

if they're the right parts I will order me a couple more sets and then post up where.

Its a good start. But eventually does Club lupo wants it own parts dept? There is on a finite amount of time before someone is going say 'right we are going to need to make replacements'

2 hours ago, lupo1.0se said:

Its a good start. But eventually does Club lupo wants it own parts dept? There is on a finite amount of time before someone is going say 'right we are going to need to make replacements'

We'll need to charge for membership when we get to that stage or perhaps have various tiers of membership, the parts issues will come, I get the sense that at the end of the next 5 years the only cars left running will be SDi's, TDi's and GTi's. 

On 5/27/2017 at 7:42 PM, Rich said:

I have just done this myself ive picked up 8 sets of ball joints for the future haha

would it also be worth looking into getting prices from companies for parts to be made? 

Edited by Reedo

20 hours ago, Reedo said:

I have just done this myself ive picked up 8 sets of ball joints for the future haha

I have to wonder if this is part of the problem - people hoarding stuff just in case?

There's always going to be a limited stock number available from dealers, if there aren't many to begin with then buying excessive amounts just in case makes it harder for other people to get parts that they actually need. 

Parts are always going to be difficult for what is now a pretty niche car.

It won't be a problem to get someone to manufacture a specific part - but they'll want a large volume to make it worth their while, and who's going to front that cost given the likelyhood of getting the money back? Membership isn't an issue (and that itself is another discussion), it's more the cost and logistics of making it worthwhile.

I don't want to order 200 custom-madeball joints for £1000 and find I can only sell 8 of them ;)

24 minutes ago, The Penguin said:

yes and the club needs funds for that

go buy a gti and work out hoe many ball joints you need.

of course ball joints are only the first item we have become aware of.

inner tie rods next....

3 hours ago, Rich said:

go buy a gti and work out hoe many ball joints you need.

of course ball joints are only the first item we have become aware of.

inner tie rods next....

I'd be willing to put money on it not being 8 during the lifetime of the car.... 

I've only changed one of mine I think, that was only because the boot was split, so I could have got a boot for it I guess. Not bad for 14 years old and 164.6k miles

• 4 weeks later...

APPARENTLY. I say this cautiously because i still havent heard. but after 9 months people are starting to receive their orders from VW for ball joints they ordered. I sold some of the ones i got to people who needed them at face value plus shipping. if there are people that need them i can get some more?

Vw now have some in stock, 20 of the o/s and 39 of the n/s

I'm gonna grab a pair just in case!

Can confirm this is true. I received mine this morning after waiting 7 months for a pair.

Also got a notification from eBay about an item I'd been watching - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-VW-VW-Lupo-GTI-Traggelenke-Rechts-Links-6ES-1LX-6E0407366-6E0407365-NEU/172294392412?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Previously this was for the side I didn't need, its been updated for both so they're definitely out there now.

• Like 1