WANTED - SDi gearbox

Paul

remember to include 6n and 6n2 polo in your search.

I have never broken a gearbox, I refuse to believe all this 'usual fashion' malarky

I didn't break it. The pinion bearing broke, destroying the casing, and the gearbox left a trail of oil. I've read that's common on the 085 'box.

I have two sdis with very dodgy boxes. One is whiney. The other chatters. They'll go pop soon. Just no time for me to pull them and do the bearings. I think its the same for everyone...

There are a few old but salvagable sdis on gumtree like this one (could pull the box out of that and sell the remaining parts):

https://www.gumtree.com/p/volkswagen/volkswagen-lupo/1239635362

Edited by mk2
update

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 9:35 AM, Paul said:

My SDi's gearbox has let go in the usual fashion and so I'm searching for a replacement.

Does anyone have one for sale?

Thank-you.

Oh no :(

Just spotted this thread. Sorry to hear about your gearbox fella.

TBH from what I remember you mentioned your car had covered over 220k and you're 100k on from your last rebuild... Not bad going really, given new cars deprecate by £1k+ a year having to pay to have a' box rebuilt every 100k seems like the lesser of the evils comparatively, especially with £30 tax and 60+ MPG?

If I were you I'd consider doing the same again (Rebuild) given any second hand 'box you buy could well do the same again in short order?

I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that if/when mine eventually gives up the ghost that's the route I'll take TBH rather than risking the time/money fitting a spurious second hand item.

Best of luck whatever you choose to do chap.

• 2 weeks later...