Need Help! Battery Drain!

JedB

Hi Guys,

First of all - I have used this forum for a while for tips and how to fix things on this Lupo and have fixed up alot of problems i've had - however there has been one that has stuck, the battery drain!!

So some facts about the car: 2001 VW Lupo 1.0, 71k mileage.

The car came with 1 key that was a newly cut key, bought from a friend 2 years ago.

The car would after 2-3 weeks, have the radio go off. (stereo is all standard) car will drive for another 3-10 days after radio won't turn on, then bam. It won't start and will need jump starting. After a jump start and a good little bit of charge, it'll go again for similar time and the same thing will happen. Something I think is worth noting is, first thing we did when it was doing this was replace the battery and the alternator, which the garage says the alternator and battery are both good.

We did have an issue where the drivers side footwell flooded when we first bought it, fixed that.

The car has always made sounds for central locking when we open and close the door, but we have never had central locking on this car? Garage suggested that the "Catch mechanism" could be water damaged and this could be the cause of the central locking noise + the battery drain. We have one on the way from Ebay, so fingers crossed.

What i'm after, does anyone have ANY suggestions? The only other thing i'm yet to try is a new comfort control module which is what another garage suggested to try on these VW's when they are draining battery.

ANY suggestions are much appreciated before we just sell this car for cheap to get rid, which I don't want to do due to the money been spent on new waterpump, belt, new brakes, alternator, catch mechanism, footwell patched up, service etc.

Let me know if you need any further information.

Thanks guys!

Jed

Edited by JedB

Any accessory cables coming off your battery? Just wondering if someone has fitted remote central locking badly.

I take it you have replaced the battery as there will always be some drain and a knakered battery wont help

2-3 weeks is quiet a long time, most posts about battery drain seem to be 2 days and its flat, hence I'm thinking the battery simply not holding charge properly

Edited by Mobieus_uk

Pretty easy to find a current draw, get your multimeter out and put it in the circuit with the battery at the negative side and see what reading you're getting. If the readings are higher than they should be then start yanking fuses till the amps drop and whatever system that fuse is related to then that's you're issue.

• Like 1

Yep. Exactly. There's no point in stabbing in the dark, and throwing parts at it. Anyone with a multimeter can do a current draw test.

A multimeter is much cheaper than a battery or an alternator, and is very useful if you don't have one already.

On 4/24/2017 at 10:34 PM, Pete said:

Pretty easy to find a current draw, get your multimeter out and put it in the circuit with the battery at the negative side and see what reading you're getting. If the readings are higher than they should be then start yanking fuses till the amps drop and whatever system that fuse is related to then that's you're issue.

May I ask for more details on how I do this? Never used a multimeter before? I see they are only £10 at Screwfix so I will buy one today or tomorrow.

Seems like this is what I need to do next! Was told by an auto electrician that finding the 'drain' could cost more than the car was worth. So where do I put the positive and negative of the multimeter?

Also, what reading SHOULD i be getting?

Cheers I appreciate the replies.

On 4/23/2017 at 8:18 PM, Skezza said:

Any accessory cables coming off your battery? Just wondering if someone has fitted remote central locking badly.

Hi, no nothing on the battery.

Funny enough - This battery in the car was 18months old - Took it to a battery center who said it's putting out 5v therefore needs replacing? I'm no Guru but I listen to the experts, paid £25 for a second-hand one that apparently is putting out 12v and have slotted that in. Also replaced the radio as that keeps flickering on and off randomlly as mentioned above... So that could be the source of the problem but I doubt it, because the battery and alternator were replaced 18months ago as the issue was already happening. So I guess I now have a definite working battery and a definite working alternator and working stereo.

The only other thing is now the engine light came back on this morning (ERGH). I replaced a lambda sensor only 3-4 months ago with a £100 bosche one as advised by local garage as engine light was on.. When one door closes....

Jed

2 hours ago, mk2 said:

You're just dogged with problems...! I feel your pain. hopefully once sorted, you'll be problem free for years again.

That's the hopeful plan!

On a positive note the engine light came off today! Odd but good!

Once you get a multimeter, just undo a battery clamp, lock the car and disconnect the battery. Set your multimeter up to measure amps (A), then clamp one side to the battery post post, the other to the disconnected battery clamp. This will show your resting current draw in Amps. I'm not sure of the sort of current that's normal on a Lupo, but if it's in the region of 0.0x Amps, then it's fine. If it's nearer 0.1A or more, then you need to start pulling fuses out, one by one, until the current draw drops. Then you've found a circuit that is drawing power.

It can be quite fine consuming, which is why you are better off DIY than paying someone by the hour to pull each fuse out.

I'm sure there are some better guides out there. Just search for current draw test.

• 6 months later...

Thought i'd reply and let you know the outcome seeing as i have been problem free since May and i was looking on here again!

After the "Catch Mechanism" was replaced in the door (Ebay job - £10) the noise it used to make has stopped and the battery has never gone flat on us since (even been on holiday and didn't start the car for 10 days) and still started like its being driven everyday.

Every dark night has a brighter day :)...

Jed