stereo wiring

martinedwards

I just got a fox.

nice wee car but I want to fit my DAB radio.

standard radio easily removed with 4 keys and adaptor wire loom bought off ebay.

My new radio is a Pioneer DEH-X6700DAB which has been in my other car for a couple of years with no issues.

but in the fox, it wont turn off when the ignition is turned off!

fox loom has the speaker cables and five other wires.

thick brown, thick red and white and thin red and white, and then the other two skinnies that don't match any diagrams I can find online.

the conversion loom has matching outs for the thick brown (going to the black on the radio)
and thick red and white (going to the yellow on the radio)

the outstanding red wire on the radio is to connect to the ignition switch feed. 

if I connect it to the thin red and white, the radio comes on regardless of if the ignition is on or not, just like if I short it to the thick main power wire. Connecting it to the two other wires doesn't do anything.

I know I'm missing something obvious here but my head is fried!

suggestions please!

radios are normally fed by 2 circuits, one is permantly connected other is fed by the ignition,  yours are most likely the wrong way round this happened in  my lupo as VW dont seem to want to follow the conventional setups, the easiest solution i found was to swap the connections around in your adaptor plug, its easily done by sticking a small screwdriver into the back of one of the wires and you should be able to release the taps pop the connectors out and swap there positons, or cut the wires and swap them around easy fix

yellow should be the permanent 12v and red should be the ignition live, black goes to chassis acording to the below

pin.png

Edited by Mobieus_uk

I just got an email back from the customer service guys.

Thank you for your recent request regarding technical information concerning a Volkswagen. 

The following website: www.erwin.volkswagen.de should have the information you require.  This is a Pay-To- Use site, referred to extensively by repair centres not affiliated to Volkswagen and also by private individuals wishing to carry out their own vehicle maintenance.  The site is maintained by our Head Office in Germany and kept up to date by them. 

I am confident it will provide you with the information and help you require.  Of course, if you need any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me. 

Kind regards

hey, its only €30 a day to get the info........

I'll pass for now.......

VW do a loom for the Fox that converts from the Quadlock loom to ISO, these are the instructions it gives, hopefully this may help....

QUADTOISO.jpg

this is driving me nuts!

this VERY helpful page has the wiring diagram for the ISO connector.

http://uk-mkivs.net/topic/11361-how-to-upgrade-the-stereo-in-mk4-golfsboras/

the fox has only the speakers and the three power cables: brown, thin red and white, thick red and white. which according to the link, and my experience with a meter....

are two permanent 12v lives, and a neutral.

there are also two mystery wires which are brown and orange in positions 2 & 4

theses are (4) at 11.49v when the key is off and 2.6v when on

(2) at 0v when the key is off and 2.35v when on (taking the earth at the brown wire)

I am not a sweary person.

but how the actual @?&%$£ does the factory fitted radio turn off?

voodoo?

I'm just about to try and run a cable through to the fusebox to find the ignition feed there.

Try searching ebay for 'fox to iso adaptor',once you have iso standard plugs you will find adaptors to suit your radio

I think canbus is a networking protocol so devices in your car can talk to each other, ie colum controls to radio or immobiliser to instument cluster, I dont think they are used to provide the basic power

I think I MAY be on the right track now.

the 12v power socket (formerly known as cigarette lighter) turns off when the ignition does.

a patch cable from there to the red lead on the radio should do it.

but its too late to start into it now....

I have spare lighter plugs so ill rig a temp. Lead to try it before I start pulling apart the facia!

Edited by martinedwards
typo

On 3/26/2017 at 4:10 PM, Mobieus_uk said:

Try searching ebay for 'fox to iso adaptor',once you have iso standard plugs you will find adaptors to suit your radio

I think canbus is a networking protocol so devices in your car can talk to each other, ie colum controls to radio or immobiliser to instument cluster, I dont think they are used to provide the basic power

Canbus doesn't provide the power, but it does let the radio know when the ignition is on or off!