New member, New driver, Couple of questions.

WLKR

Hi all! 

Been browsing the Club Lupo forum for a couple of weeks now and decided to make an account since I'm going to look at and hopefully buy an Arosa this weekend.

Has anyone here used Ingenie Blackbox insurance? or Ingenie insurance in general? They've gave me a great quote compared to what I've previously got and wondered if they're a decent company? How much over the speed limit can you go before you're penalised? Some black boxes let you go 30mph over but it looks like Ingenie is quite harsh with it, not sure though that's why i'm asking.

Also, anything else I should know about Lupo's/Arosa's before I go to view one? Anything I should look out for? I'm not a mechanic but I'd like to say i'm pretty car knowledgeable for an IT Student haha :) Driving and cars are my motivation in life tbh, been a 'petrolhead' since very young.

In case anyone's curious:

Quote from Ingenie was £1,090 and my previous quote was £1,306.

The car i'm going to view is a 2004 Arosa S.

Just drive it like a Mother Superior for the 1st year and get some No Claims Discount under your belt would be my advice, the speed limits are just that, speed limits, so avoid the easy temptation to exceed them or view them as the speed you must be going. For a start it is expensive when you get tickets and points and that is the last thing you need as a new driver trying to get reasonable insurance premiums.

Defensive driving is the way to go: https://www.roaddriver.co.uk/safety-tips/what-is-defensive-driving/

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cj1 said:

Welcome to the forum. The three guides above should get you started, although the search function brought up many, many more! :)

Had a read through those and it seems the Pedal box is the most noticeable fault, the one I'm going to view hasn't had it replaced is that an issue? Will it need replacing within my first year of ownership? 

I'll make sure it's fine when I test drive it, and if it's not I'll either negotiate a lower price or not buy it because it seems like a hassle to replace or a money bin to get a garage to replace it.

13 hours ago, WLKR said:

Had a read through those and it seems the Pedal box is the most noticeable fault, the one I'm going to view hasn't had it replaced is that an issue? Will it need replacing within my first year of ownership? 

I'll make sure it's fine when I test drive it, and if it's not I'll either negotiate a lower price or not buy it because it seems like a hassle to replace or a money bin to get a garage to replace it.

It seems to be a bit of a mystery to be honest, I had a lupo with 110,000 miles on and it was still fine having never been replaced, but the one I have now went at 70,000... 

replacement isn't too bad. Think the hardest part is actually getting to the shear bolts to drill them out. 

Edited by cj1
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, cj1 said:

It seems to be a bit of a mystery to be honest, I had a lupo with 110,000 miles on and it was still fine having never been replaced, but the one I have now went at 70,000... 

replacement isn't too bad. Think the hardest part is actually getting to the shear bolts to drill them out. 

My brother who's a mechanic said he'd sort the pedal box if it goes so that's decent i suppose.

Gearbox also being a problem on the 1.0's hasn't been replaced on this one, If I decide to buy it i'm gonna top up or check the transmission fluid to make sure it's full to stop 5th gear from starving, should make the box last like any other box hopefully.