How to reduce Co output for emmisions test?

Had the lupo in for its mot and the only thing I don't know how to sort is how to lower the co output. The limit it said is .3 and I was .6 and .57 both times

Ive had a new cat in the last 6months and changed the oil recently. What next should I try? 

Should I change the spark plugs and air filter or would additives make a bigger difference? 

As usual all help is appreciated 

thanks Rich, i was looking online and apparently high Co output is related to not having enough air for the fuel mixture so ill have a look at changing the filter first and get an additive like redex or cataclean however the engine has been swaped in the past and the current one doesnt have a plug for the egr valve so i really hope that with changing the filter and adding something to the fuel will fix it because otherwise ill be out of luck haha

I recently fixed a car with both carbon monoxide and lambda failures on the MOT. The tester told me it needed a new cat and almost no cars fail both unless the cat is ****ed. I decided I knew better. 20 minutes at 75mph in 3rd gear later......

MOT passed. :)

• 3 weeks later...