Rear Speakers OEM or Other?

I know speakers have been done to death on other threads BUT after hours of reading what the search function brought up, I still need answers...

At least one of my rear speakers buzz, I know one of the fronts does too. I've replaced the fronts in my previous loop and will be doing that again, no problem (except which speakers to choose!). The rear speakers however are a different kettle of fish. If I make the stereo just play through them it is obvious they have been designed to give out less treble and be a bit muffled, I've read that they are supposed to just add "filler" sound and this would make sense. The front speakers are much more vibrant and clear.

There is a website that claims to have a set of OEM rears, brand new, for about £40. The thing is, they also have the front door speakers for the same price - would I be better off getting these and installing in the rear? Or should I replace like for like - surely VW would have put the front speakers in the rear if they would have improved the overall sound from factory?

The front speakers won't fit in the rear as the mounting hole isn't deep enough. The front speakers has a large plastic surround to them to keep the rear of the speaker away from the window mechanism when its down. The rear speakers are much shallower as they have no window to clear. I fitted a set of 6.5'' components but I had to make a speaker adaptor out of mdf. I used the original speaker as a template as they have weird mounting holes, works fine for me, but I would like a better solution in the long run.

• Like 1

@lupogtiboy thanks for the responses! I'd seen those mounts but I think the guy said they cost him a few hundred euro?! And I haven't got access to the sorts of tools I'd need to make one out of anything else...

I guess that makes my decision nice and easy - replace like for like :)

"buzzy" speakers can be caused by tiny bits of metal, like staples, screws or pins attracted to the magnet. they sit there and vibrate. Pick 'em off and your speakers will be good as new again (unless obviously damaged). worth checking before splashing the cash... :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2017 at 6:41 PM, mk2 said:

"buzzy" speakers can be caused by tiny bits of metal, like staples, screws or pins attracted to the magnet. they sit there and vibrate. Pick 'em off and your speakers will be good as new again (unless obviously damaged). worth checking before splashing the cash... :)

I've had a look and I think it must just be deterioration of the glue that holds the speaker together - no visual damage :(

You can repair speakers with coffee filter paper and something called 'Elmer's glue' (never heard of it before!) Some guy who's blog I follow used it on a radio speaker and it seemed to work for him! Other than that, you can re-foam speakers and kits are available on eBay quite cheap with some good guides online.

• 1 month later...

Just in case anyone stumbles across this/is interested: 

I bought some JBL stage 602 speakers for £26.99 on eBay, as this was pretty much half the price of getting OEM replacements. They aren't going to win any awards but sound quality is fine for rear fill and they fit behind the grills! Only caveat is they either need an adapter or you'll need to drill new holes to mount them to. Some of the cheapest "brand name" speakers I could see without looking too hard...

I did find another thread where someone had used Alpine Type Rs but clearly they have changed the design since 2013 or whenever that post was made because the latest models have no chance of fitting, so the ones I bought are now in the front.  

Anyway, coupled with my Blaupunkt GTb 8a sub in the boot all in all the car sounds pretty good :D