SDI Cranks but wont start

car decided to die today and wont start, did my trick of bridging the 109 relay but nothing, the glowcoil light flashes up briefly which was part of the symptoms when the relay failed last time

I've got fuel as i disconnected the return pipe from the pump so i know its drawing it up and circulating, now leaves the fuel solenoid as suspect

error code I'm getting is 00668 supply voltage low at terminal 30, now there is a terminal 30 on the 109 relay anyone know where is get its feed from or its it a simple issue like a fuse popped, haven't checked the all the fuses yet as its cold and dark

just checked some of notes from my relay post and that confirms terminal 30 is the common on the relay and there should be a voltage on it, ill check to see if i got voltage on it tomorrow, might be lucky and it end up being a fuse

Always screams relay 109 but check one of the main fuses above the battery. They can blow. Mine did, immobilizing the car. I ended up having to wire in a wall fuse. Lethal.

bypassed the 109, checked I'm getting voltage to the fuel solenoid, used some wire to make the fuel solenoid click to be sure, undid one of the injector tubes on the fuel pump and cranked the engine expecting fuel to spray out and it hardly dribbles, thinking maybe fuel solenoid or airlock in the system as son thinks he may have run out of fuel
, its not on empty as we put 5litres in it, its run out before and self primed quite happily but I'm wondering if its a air issue in the fuel lines

need a better battery as I'm not getting much cranking time and that don't help and its fecking cold out

I'm still working on the fuel theory, no time to look at it today but gonna run both tubes direct into a bottle with some diesal in it and see if it starts, if it does then its a most likely air in the lines from the tank to the filter which should prime as the sdi is a suction engine so should draw the fuel up, is ran out before and started without problems once fuel was stuck in the tank

bypassed the 109 and I'm getting voltage and clicking from the fuel shutoff solenoid, which i also ran a direct feed to from the battery, my main concern is lack of fuel pressure when i disconnected one of the tubes on the fuel pump that lead to the injectors so maybe the solenoid in not lifting correctly so will pull that out and have a look

Checked the cam belt and that still in place, will have a play in the week

its all pointing towards lack of fuel reasons yet unknown, not much fun when its cold, raining and I cant get the car on the driveway close to the garage

turns out was fuel, kids had run the car so low they had emptied the tank and also the filter, made up a little loop with a bottle of fuel and some easystart, got it running, reconnected and after a cough and a bit of spluttering its all good

I think the low voltage error is due to cranking as normally it starts in 2 turns but the constant cranking due to low fuel would have lowered the cars normal voltage

Edited by Mobieus_uk

Ahh, not easy start lol. Evil stuff.

There's a bleed nipple under the engine tray which you can crank with a pan under until it starts. That will prime the filter and get it running.

Yes, when you run a Sdi dry, it drinks the filter too. Tell them be bloody careful lol and put fuel in the car more often :D

8 hours ago, Skezza said:

Ahh, not easy start lol. Evil stuff.

There's a bleed nipple under the engine tray which you can crank with a pan under until it starts. That will prime the filter and get it running.

Yes, when you run a Sdi dry, it drinks the filter too. Tell them be bloody careful lol and put fuel in the car more often :D

tell me about it,lol, on the plus side at least we fixed it and not a bill from a garage as that would have been annoying

3 hours ago, Mobieus_uk said:

tell me about it,lol, on the plus side at least we fixed it and not a bill from a garage as that would have been annoying

The SDIs are dead straightforward cars. I would expect any issues to be solved by knowledge on this forum. I've not been as active lately due to work but there's others who know the SDI inside out. No need for garages :D