Starts but wont stay on. HELP!!

Little tank

Hi.

My 52 plate 1.7 sdi, starts fine just wont stay on. any ideas?

Runs for a second or two then cuts out.

Don't  think it has an immobiliser,  but feels like something is cutting it out.

Using search tells me about a stop solenoid, Anyone know where it is or how to test it?

Edited by Little tank

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/images/fuelshutoffsolenoid.jpg

12v at the solenoid with ignition on, it's a electromagnetic plunger so volts makes it lift the plunger and let the fuel flow, off makes it stop the fuel flow. test for constant 12v with ignition on or engine running, if so you should feel it click when switched on of off, may have to remove it and bench test to check it properly.

Edited by Sausage

Not sure why it doesnt show up, it's a picture of an injection pump showing where the stop solenoid is.

it is usually above the 4 metal fuel pipes coming out of the fuel pump and will have a wire going to it.

Edited by Sausage

43 minutes ago, Little tank said:

Great, thanks for the help. I'll get a 109 relay.

wouldn't rush out and buy one until you have confirmed the old has failed, nothing worse than buying parts you don't need

I think when mine failed one of the symptoms was a glow coil light that flashed for about a fraction of a second, I could predict when the engine would start as when the glow coil light stayed of for a longer time it always started