Too much gear stick play?

josh_99

Hi, my gearstick seems to have about 3cm of play when in gear or neutral sideways and feels a bit loose and imprecise. However the actual gear changes are perfect and has never slipped out of gear. Is this just worn bushes on the linkage or could it be something more serious??

4 minutes ago, Mobieus_uk said:

best thing is get underneath and take a look at the linkages, you may be able to make a adjustment to take up the play, its helps to have a friend wriggle the gearstick so you can see which linkage moves on the sideways motion

Cheers, I'll have to take a look tomorrow when it's light.  Am I right in thinking the box is fine, and that it is most likely the linkage?

I'm gonna guess at linkages, the box itself just has a single gear change selector that pushes in and out and rotates, its pretty solid and its though the linkages to convert the gear changes into this in/out and rotate motion, if the gear changes are smooth and the box is quiet then gearboxes are pretty honest bits of kit as they complain when things ain't right and you would have more issues then play in the gearstick

on the linkages, from memory 2 points of adjustment, they should be fixed and not slide in the grove they sit in, yours simply may have loosened of and the play your feeling is the sliding in the groove, if one is loose center the stick in neutral and tighten up at that point, it makes much more sense when you look at the linkages

Edited by Mobieus_uk
  • Like 1