can anyone ID this radio?

mk2

Update to this old thread...

Ok, so after considerable research, I have chosen this thing- CE153DR- You can connect your phone via bluetooth (calls and music), SDCARD, USB, external input jack, line out for bass bins, spare rear USB to power other stuff (5v feed) and obviously radio... I like it:

CE153DR_05-_FP-global-001?$jpglarge$&hei

Ok, so it has no CD player, but hey, CD's are dead.

There is a "but"....

I bought it cheap, complete with the DAB option, but I personally still like FM radio better than DAB as it (really does) have better quality. Sadly us brits specified the original DAB system which is worse than FM. In europe they use DAB+ which is the same as FM. There are only four manufacturers of decent FM receiver circuits IMO, who are Kenwood, Sony, Philips and Blaupunkt (who get rebranded a bit).

Trouble is, us Lupo (and generally most Vdub owners) have beesting antennas on the roof. In the base of the antenna mount is a tiny circuit board which requires power, as it amplifies the radio signals that are picked up by the antenna 'stick', to give better reception. The power is provided down the coax cable which plugs into the radio. But that is only true for Vdub specified head units. If you measure the voltage on the centre pin of the antenna connector on the back of your radio (when it's on), chances are you'll see no volts. That's fine for a standard car antenna, but for a Vdub bee sting thing, you need at least 8.6V to get it to amplify. If you don't provide it with any volts, the effect is similar to having a regular antenna, that has been broken off- so you get poor reception- which is why I've read many times on this forum that people are never that impressed with after market radios... Now we know why! Blaupunkt do provide power as that is the basis for the Vdub units.

I plugged my new radio in and it was complete rubbish. It couldn't find the distant radio stations I usally listen to. Lots of hiss. I know there was a problem immediately, as from experience I've always found Phlips to be awesome when it comes to FM reception. Then the penny dropped. No power to the bee sting circuit board.

So yes, I had to hack the philips circuit board and solder in an RF power splitter feed (RF choke and decoupling capacitor, connected to 12V when set is powed up). Now it is as expected. Awesome.

Just be careful if you enjoy using the radio and fit a non-OEM head unit!!!! The radio might not work too well..... :)

I have a cheap Sony which I use in all cars, has cd and radio, lights up red/blue which is pants in the Tt but good in the lupo.

I collect/listen to cds, I have a lot....

Aye indeed. I knew not of such things... Do now! Jon273, what do you call this thing? In engineering it's known as a DC inline power injector. I dont think most people would call it that!

In the car audio world I think it's called an aerial amplifier, although of course technically it isn't as the amplifier is in the base of the the aerial, so it's just the power injector like you say.

If you search for "car antenna booster" or amplifier, pics of what you've found do turn up. But the impression I get is that they do what they describe, and boost or amplify the signal coming down the coax from the antenna.

I haven't found anything specially for VAG cars, that doesn't amplify, where it specifically supplies power to the bee sting unit. Perhaps there's a market for such a thing??? The amplifier will still amplify i suppose, but not a lot, as the circuit board at the base of the bee sting unit is still switched off, effectively disconnecting the antenna 'stick' from the coax. Hmm.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001JP0N6G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've got one of those in my Loop with a Sony headunit, works perfectly and you can tuck it into the recess at the side of where the stereo slides in, perfect! I've had the same system in two GTIs and the radio signal is brilliant :)

I'm not sure there's a filter in it skezza. The ones i've seen advertised "claim" to be amplifiers, but i think they simply add a power feed to the antenna unit- a bit like how mast head amps work on good tv antenna systems. For £3, definitely saves a load of work though, so worth a try :)