Heater Fan Replacement

sharktech

Morning All

Sods Law the weather starts to get cold and the heater fan has packed in. It started to make noise when i went round corners but being a lazy sod didn't bother replacing there and then.

Do i need to remove the dash to replace it?

Thanks

you can do it from the underside, rip the foam off, undo a couple of screws and it will pull down.

it has been a few years so I am rusty on this but it isn't a hard job.

you can just kick it or tap it till it works every time you get in the car.

like a jumpstart.

Makes a sound like an owl apparently as it begins to fail... Should take half an hour to sort. Keep an eye on how the foam fits before removing. In every vw since the mk 1 they've been failing in the same way! (All work in the left foot well)

Edited by mk2
  • Like 1

Nice one, no owls with this one, it sounded like a very quiet train but only when i went round corners.

Its the only thing left i haven't replaced yet so must be the bushes/bearings

Will try the kick tonight before i leave work as its hit 1c round here now.

I'm reading this whilst sitting in the leather seats of my Tt, everything around me is black, I replaced the thermostat and coolant last week, it is super toasty.

The heating is digital and I wouldn't want to live your way.

I wouldn't want to live your way.

• Like 1

Lol Thanks Rich :)

Well i tried to remove the passenger dash part that covers the heater blower and thought it was a case of undoing the 7 screws above and below the shelf. 

Oh no that would be too simple lol.

Rich i searched the forum and you had a pdf that showed instructions for dash removal - have you still got it?

Thanks

36 minutes ago, mk2 said:

Very useful PIC. :)

Where does the heater matrix live? My guess is that you'd have to pull the entire ducting and mounting assembly out to get to it!

here, yes your correct once the dashboard is out you have to pull the ducting forward so you can remove the matrix, took many hours trying to identify the 4 bolts that hold it. they are hard to see as they are double studded with stuff hanging off them in the engine bay

the dashboard itself main supports are 2 screws either end then 8 bolts in the engine bay under the wiper motor, you have to remove all the trim on the inside and also the steering wheel, I cheated and cut the dashboard so i could lift it over steering wheel, all for a £12 part

Matrix.jpg

Edited by Mobieus_uk

21 hours ago, Rich said:

this isn't a dash out situation.

that's real overkill.

Rich - from what i can see, i can just remove the lower parts but need to remove the lower center bit with the heater controls, gear stick etc aswell is that correct?

Thanks

22 hours ago, mk2 said:

yeah, that black plastic strip, right up against the glass... how do you get that off?

you don't, it stays in place only thing you have to do there is pop the front tweeter out and disconnect

Edited by Mobieus_uk

21 hours ago, mk2 said:

I want to run a wire up behind it...

I'm pretty sure I ran a wire along that for a mic on a handsfree kit so it was a thin wire i just lifted rubber up on the A pillar side (used a trim tool)and tucked the wire in, but this was a thin wire, what you planning to run up it?

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, mk2 said:

I have a dash can I want to mount up behind the mirror, with a USB lead that needs to terminate in the fuse box... So about 3mm diameter I guess.

you should be able to sneak the wire under the seal on the pillar side as its rubber and flexible